Student Self Enrollment Feature

Student Self Enrollment Feature

by Alex Fung -
Number of replies: 13

I am new to moodle and I am researching it to implement the system into our system.

I would like to ask if moodle have the feature which can let the student to enroll / drop the courses him/herself online, without any input from the system administrator? I think it is very common for universities that allow students to choose some of the many courses available based on the student's interest.

Thank you very much.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alex Fung

Re: Student Self Enrollment Feature

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Simple, the courses should not have "enrollment keys", that's all.

But you might not like it, in case everybody in the internet suddenly visit your courses wink

The point is the difference between
a. guests (anybody on the net)
b. users (have some sort of authentication)
c. participants (a user enrolled into a course)

What you might want is to allow category b to self-enroll but not the category a.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Kyle Egan -

Hi,

Has anyone ever allowed self enrollment but disabled unenrollment- I don't want to loose the users completion data.

In reply to Kyle Egan

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I see that you have had many help.  Just wanted to let you know that I do this in Moodle 2.1.  The way that (I think that) I disbled the ability to unenrol was by turning this feature off in the roles definition for "students".

In reply to Alex Fung

by tony deprato -
Forgive me ---

I feel like the real question is: How can I avoid all the work of uploading student information etc?

Maybe not you but someone else.

----------------
I was able to setup all the student, teacher, and admin accounts over 3 days using CSV files. And we mapped the courses out using a flowchart program. Then using the flowchart assigned all the admins and course creators. Then we developed an excel spreadsheet which listed courses numbers and a system for creating course IDS and KEYS depending on department.

It took about a week but now everyone is in the DB and we know who is supposed to do what. It takes very little time to consistently setup good courses.
If you want info on the steps let me know and I will post them. USing CSV files is common with Moodle and seems to be well documented on the web.

Tony D.

In reply to tony deprato

by Ed Puckett -

Did this ever get answered?  I can get the enrollment key to work. But, the key allows any guest with the enrollment key to enter a course as "guest". There should be a way for the user to...

1. enter the course through self enrollment.

2. Enter a user name and password to identify himself as an individual.

3.  Continue through the course to audit or complete the course.

This method reduces the administrative overhead for orientation courses where individual participation is monitored but not graded.

In reply to Ed Puckett

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Probably so many people thought the answer is obvious they never considered they could pass it on.

Our setup is simple, each Visitor can create their own account, and once they have done that, they cannot actually do anything else until they are given the enrollment key to the course they are trying to get to.  (The only exception to this is new staff, the Admins enter their initial details, and assign them the Staff Role, and they can re-edit their id to whatever they want. Btw, the Staff Role is only the Authenticated User Role with permissions to see a couple of hidden folders we use for Staff materials.)

Using enrolment keys mean only that people who have the key are the ones that can enter - obviously.

IM(NS)HO the guest login should only be permitted on demonstration courses, and should never be allowed for any other course.

Once all students who have been permitted entry the enrollment key is changed. Even if a Student knew the old key, they should not know the new one. Anyone who is enrolled that is not supposed to be there is kicked out the course with a strongly worded email, or suspension/deletion from the Moodle. An Admin can suspend accounts - preferable to deletion.

Herein lies the key to a small admin role, once the key is changed, you can concentrate on the delivery of the course or mentoring or even actual teaching of the materials, suit yourself.

Issues: New Students are added into courses by the Teacher, actually cuts down Admin time. Other Staff can only be permitted into a course if they are delivering the same course, OR if the Teacher permits them entry. Admins DO NOT grant teachers access to any course any time without prior request from an Assistant Principal or above. (Some people get a little precious about "their" courses so this is always a contentious issue.) ONE Teacher per course, everyone else is a Non-editing Teacher - which really annoys some people, but it also means course editing is seriously scrutinized by peers.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Colin Fraser -

Just reading over this and I realized I missed the last bit...

There is a difference between setting up an account and enrollments. There needs be put into place a series of policies that are clear and non-contentious. These policies are simple, no course should be enrollable by anyone who either has not achieved a pre-requisite, if one applies, and no student should be permitted to work outside their current year/competency level. This is why courses should not be allowed to be self-enrollable by Students. There is no point in tackling a Physics 2 course if Physics 1 has not been successfully completed - all this does is set the student up for failure.  Also, there is no point in allowing a stage 1 student access to a stage 3 course, for the same reason. Keep the enrollment keys, they do the job and do not take up too much time.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Ed Puckett -

I appreciate the response.  I combed through the admin screen and couldn't find a setting to allow visitor's to create their own account.  Can you help direct me to the proper location?

I certainly get the prerequisite concept.  In our case, we are offering a basic entry level course to address the typical set of questions that are asked of the Church leadership.  So the only prerequisite is the consideration or even sparkle of thought to join our church.  Once they complete the class they can say this Church is not for me.

But, prerequisites would certainly apply to other Bible study classes.  For example you wouldn't want to tackle a bible study on Revelations before you had a foundation in other Christian principles.

In reply to Ed Puckett

by Ed Puckett -

Aha!  I found it.

Users -> Authentication -> Manage Authentication.

Stellar!

My first moodle challenge solved with some help from the community and a little bit of tenacity.  LOVE open source!

In reply to Ed Puckett

by Colin Fraser -

I just read what I wrote there, and it does not make a lot of sense.. sorry, the last week has been a real hectic week - I am getting tired and making mistakes.

OK, what I meant with "courses should not be self-enrollable" was that Students should not have open access to courses, it should always be restricted by an enrollment key - which is changed when all the students who are supposed to be enrolled are enrolled. Students should ALWAYS be able to access the enrollment screen, but it asks for the key the first time they access the course. Thereafter, they will not have to use the enrollment key again.

In reply to Ed Puckett

by isabel anderson -

I just have to say thank you thank you thank you for posting this - I was having the same problem and felt like I went through every single menu option trying to figure out how to allow students to self-enroll.  I knew it was possible because my experience as a student was that I self-enrolled, but I struggled to set it up as an administrator until I read through this series of comments and arrived at this last post with arrows pointing the way!

I would just add that on my version the path is Users -> Enrolment Methods and you have to be in the specific course with the editing turned on.  In other words, it is an adjustment made at the course level, not at the site level.

In reply to isabel anderson

by isabel anderson -

Ignore that last part about a different path.  This was so frustrating!  Even when I thought I had it figured out, it wasn't working!

So, the correct path is: Site Admin -> Plugins -> Authentication -> Manage Authentication  

Then you have to scroll down and change "Self Registration" from "Disabled" to "Email-based Self-registration".  Just ignore the scary language about anyone being able to register unless you are actually worried that a random student would want to register for a class they are not taking.  Personally, I'm not too worried that my students will go around passing out the enrollment key...

I hope no one ever struggles with this as much I did!

In reply to tony deprato

by rahul bhardwaj -

hey tony deprato can you help me by sending all the steps you used to set up your moodle site..

thanx