Display custom scales in gradebook

Display custom scales in gradebook

by Thomas Haynes -
Number of replies: 3
Greetings...

I am scratching my head trying to figure out how to display custom grade scales in the gradebook. Suppose a teacher graded each assignment as 'good' or 'bad.' Would it be possible to have the 'good's appear in the gradebook?

On another related issue, we would like the grade (and maybe feedback) to be included in the email students get when an assignment is graded. It has to be possible.

Regards... Tom
In reply to Thomas Haynes

Re: Display custom scales in gradebook

by Thomas Haynes -

More information on this request. I got it clarified by the teacher.

The most important thing we would like is for the student to see the rating when a custom scale is used. The teacher selects good from the dropdown when using a non-numerical scale. This scale can be custom or provided with the 1.6+ install.

When the student views the graded assignment, it has just a dash '-' as the grade.

In reply to Thomas Haynes

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Thomas!

When you create a scale to provide feedback on an assignment, there is no way to attach a corresponding point value. I think you were expecting that, since you said that you wanted the student to see the rating assigned by the instructor.

I just tested this on our server, 1.6.3+, and once an assignment is scored with a scale, the entry in the gradebook column I see both as a teacher AND as the student (I have a test account to use for this) is the rating text.

If you don't see a rating, something must be wrong! Do you think the scale could have an error in the syntax? Do you think the score wasn't saved? If you test it with another account/another scale/another assignment, does the same thing happen? I always hope for "user error" first, since those things are much easier to solve than other types of errors!

I hope that you can figure out what is happening. Perhaps you can come back and post more clues if you don't come to a solution.

atw

Attachment using_scales.gif
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Thomas Haynes -
I really appreciate the reply.

Here is my gradebook entry for an assignment using the provided 'satisfactory' scale. I created an assignment and picked that scale. I assigned a grade of 'outstanding' from the dropdown.
gradebook

Here is a copy of the feedback a student sees.
feedback
We would like the student to be able to see the 'outstanding' in the feedback, and for the teacher to be able to see the rating in the gradebook. We don't need point values assigned.