Flash-based Maths Learning Resources for Moodle

Flash-based Maths Learning Resources for Moodle

by andy choo -
Number of replies: 3

Hi guys,

We have developed a set of flash-based learning resources for Mathematics. These resources are developed based on Singapore Mathematics Syllabus which aims to provide students with the needed assistance in self-paced learning.

We will like to invite interested educators to have a view at the Demonstration Math Zone Courses at http://www.edhub.net/edhub_dorm

Please feel free to access the Flash-based contents.

Thank you,

Andy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to andy choo

Re: Flash-based Maths Learning Resources for Moodle

by Nick Walker -

HI Andy

I would like to see your resources but how do I log in. Guests are not allowed to view.

Thanks

Nick

In reply to Nick Walker

by elearning edu -
Hi,
I had the opportunity to access the flash content developed by Andy. The development is evaluated by third party researchers and given a good rating (on request Andy will be able to provide)
Teaching maths online needs a new paradigm of thinking. A combo of flashy content for self paced learning, on demand assistance for home work, intensive etutoring for mastery of mathematical concepts and convergence of multimedia tools are viewed as essential components.
There are many possibilities for loosely integrating moodle with third party software for achieving this convergence. Though costly the integration of elluminate with moodle is a successful attempt to bridge self paced learning with etutoring. After establishing a successful (loose) integration of Moodle with SPARK (costly)I worked with Andy to try various alternates to find a cost effective solutions for those who cannot afford to use elluminate or SPARK.
Andy and myself created a demo site with content in flash (SWF) for self paced learning with materials for assessment and feeed back. For etuotring a skype link to the teacher is available. Other tool is sightspeed which is free for one on one and paid one will take care of 1 + 3
We also included VYEW in the demo and by first starting Skype or sight speed the audio and/or video link will be made available at the backdrop and the vyew will do the presentation and desktop sharing.
We also tested the IBall pen tablet with Skype (with talk and Write) and with the whiteboard in VYEW and found it functional. The new demo site will show how different tools can be loosely integrated with moodle for maths learning.
Another approach is the use of windows messenger and we tested with audio caht and one on one video in addition to chat and desktop sharing. Here also the white board is used with eyeball pen tablet.
There is a need for mastery of maths by students and online teaching is viewed as complementary and supplementary to classroom teaching.
My teacher told me once that for doing maths one need not use any one of his five senses and a notebook is sufficient enough. Additionally he said maths is the only subject you can do the complete work and yet you may achieve a perfect zero.
Nagarajan

In reply to elearning edu

by andy choo -

There is a need to view online learning as a complementary means of supplementing traditional classroom learning. Traditional classroom learning allows students to attain basic academic skills. But this style of learning sometimes created the anxiety in which instructors have time constraints and have to rush through the learning contents.

Nagarajan and I shared a common vision in introducing an online learning model with the incorporation of comprehensive online content with a real time e-tutor behind the scene to provide the needed assistance to students.

In any online learning program, it requires a strong support from academic instructors and educational contents. Our model fulfils the 2 fundamental criterias in which our developed educational multimedia lessons and segmented assessments are structured to provide students with a clear insight of the topic for self-paced learning that eradicate the anxiety of traditional classroom learning and yet provide students with the ability to manage their own learning program. The online e-tutors provide the needed instructional support which is by no means crucial as students can have their doubts cleared and clarified by the knowledgeable Maths Instructors.

As mentioned, we have already tested this learning model with several collaborative tools such as SPARK and elluminate for Maths Online Learning. We have in fact successfully tested out similar model with VYEW, Skype, etc with great success.

We hope to invite fellow Moodlers to our Demo Portal to have a feel at how this learning model process and the benefits it will bring to students in the form of Learning Anytime and Anyplace.

Do feel free to contact us for a demo account to view the demonstration.

Andy