User Authentication and Enrollment Plugins

User Authentication and Enrollment Plugins

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I have Moodle 1.7 and use LDAP to authenticate users for a K12 district. In order to use our moodle you need to be in our Active Directory ie. Student or Staff Member.

We have some courses where teachers want to add students from another district or school and currently we have no good means to do this.

I was wondering if we could use LDAP for user authentication and an enrollment plugin such as the external database for a course to add students?

Would I simply activate an external database enrollment plugin and then switch the course setting to use that as the enrollment?

Also, does someone have an Access Database that is blank where I could just fill in the student names?
Thanks,
Chris
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: User Authentication and Enrollment Plugins

by Martín Langhoff -
Yes, you can mix auth/ldap with enrol/database. But bear in mind database expects a SQL database... not Access wink If you are working with access, I'd suggest looking at enrol/flatfile, and uploading a comma-separated values file that you can maintain with Access or Excel. Or even better, openoffice wink
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks Martin.

Is there a template I could use that would explain the comma separated format to enroll students into a course?

-Chris
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Martín Langhoff -
Do you mean someone removed the example in the help file? wink

IIRC, if you go to Admin -> Enrolment plugins -> Flatfile there is a funny questionmark icon leading to the appropriate help files. Which have an example CSV. If it's really missing from there, I'm sure you'll find a copy in docs.moodle.org somewhere. Maybe... where it talks about enrolment big grin
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Marc Belcourt -

Hi - I am trying to get the flat file enrolment plugin to work (with little success) and have a few questions:

1. Is the enrol_flatfilelocation relative to enrol.php file?
  2. What triggers moodle to process the file - that is, how often is it processed?
  3. When I click on the moodle docs on the Admin-> Enrolment Plogins -> Flatfile page (http://docs.moodle.org/en/enrol/flatfile) it redirects to Upload Users page. This page has a different file format than the Flatfile page does - which is correct?

I am hoping to do a quick and dirty "automation" - adding users / enrolments to courses.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc Belcourt

In reply to Marc Belcourt

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

1. no : you select the location you want (folder and file)
  2. it's processed by the cron, if file exists (the file is deleted when processed)
  3. the good one is the documentation included in Moodle near Admin-> Enrolment Plogins -> Flatfile page, Modify (the doc link shouldn't redirect to the actual file, there's an help file missing)
Hope this helps