quiz navigation

quiz navigation

by Bob West -
Number of replies: 15

Hi,

I want to add a 'next page' button in a quiz attempt. (moodle 1.6.2)
I'm only working with one question on a page, (only in 'safe view'), and for new students it is not completely clear that they must use the navigation on the top and tail of the page.
So my question is: does anyone know, where I can find the code. I've searched myself, but could not find it.

Thanks in advance!

greetings

Bob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob West

Re: quiz navigation

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
We have made some major improvements to the quiz navigation at the OU, including the feature you want. However, we are not going to be able to clean it up and get it into shape to be submitted to moodle.org until Moodle 1.9, which should be out some time in the first half of 2007. It is quite a big change.

If you want a quick hack, look at the code for printing the navigation bar (quiz_print_navigation_panel in mod/quiz/locallib.php). Look at the type of links it prints for jumping to a particular page, and copy that with appropriate changes for your next link.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bob West -

Tim,

thank you very much!
I've made a next and a previous button in the quiz attempts and it works very well.
Is it useful to share those changes with our fellow moodlers, or is it to small for that? (don't know if there ara any rules for...)

Thanks again!

greetings,

Bob

In reply to Bob West

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Bob,
I guess you can always put it in the Modules and plugins section of Moodle, and select Small Hack for its type category.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Bob West -

Joseph,

thanks, I will improve it a bit with css and will put it in there.

Bob

In reply to Bob West

by Anthony Williams -

Hi

Please let me know when this is finsihed as my users find it confusing and I'd like just a next and previous button instead of the option to jump to any page.

In reply to Anthony Williams

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Anthony > I'd like just a next and previous button instead of the option to jump to any page.

So would I ! The present quiz interface is soooooooo confusing for the students!surprise

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Bob West -

Joseph and Anthony,

I've uploaded a fist version of the hack.
Just look in the modules and plugins database for more info.

A first test with my students were very very very(!!!!!) positive.
They first said it was 3/10 now they are talking about 9/10!

I'm working on the positioning of the buttons.

Have fun!

Bob

In reply to Bob West

by Anthony Williams -

Hi Bob.It certainly is an improvement. Unfortunately I experience problems with it.

1.If I set the quiz to 1 question per page, it ignores this and displays more

2. Even if the student has not tried the quiz, it says re-attempt quiz

3. After the attempt, the student is taken to a blank page.

This is on 1.7+

Keep up the good work!

In reply to Anthony Williams

by Bob West -

Anthony,

I think this is a typical version conflict! :S
I will make one for 1.7+ today!

greets

In reply to Bob West

by Bob West -

To all,

I've made a 1.6+ and a 1.7+ version.
Download can be done from the same place.
Some bugs were fixed.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Bob

In reply to Bob West

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Bob - Thanks for sharing this code. I look forward to checking it out on a test server. Peace - Another Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Anthony Williams -

Hi Bob

That one works

Once positioning is sorted, I'll be putting it on my production server.

Something like this would be great: (even better if we can change colour of previous and next)

Quiz

In reply to Bob West

by Steve Bilton -
Hello Bob,

The work you have done to alter the navigation within quiz is great and very useful.
I need to add an extra button at the end of quiz that will take a student back to the main course page. I have posted ealier today here:http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=63491#291356

I would greatly appriciate it if you have any suggestion that will help me?

Many Thanks!

Steve