SMTP question

SMTP question

by Manuel de la Torre -
Number of replies: 3
Hello All,

I have installed Postfix into my Moodle server and I am using it to send Moodle mails, do you think will be better (lower load on my Moodle server) to use a SMTP server in a different host.

I will appreciate your opinions!!

Manuel.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Manuel de la Torre

Re: SMTP question

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Obviously this depends on many factors (hardware, configuration, number of users, how many of those are concurrent, etc.). It always comes down to discovering your bottleneck and what type of responsiveness and reliability is expected. With that being said, I have a LAMP box (4G of RAM) running postfix for around 1000 students. By default, I set all student emails as disabled; however, they can update their email address and enable it if they want to receive emails. I wanted to avoid the complaint that Moodle was spamming anyone. The only way to get emails is if you tell Moodle you want them. So with a single server I have found that we average about 1.5G of traffic per day, a quarter of a million hits, an average of over 45 queries per second, and about 3500 emails per week without problem. I would say, start with the Postfix on the server and if you notice a hit to performance then work toward separating out either the database or email servers to another host. In my experience, one good machine seems to be handling things fine (except for the backup which I have on another machine). Happy Moodling!
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Manuel de la Torre -
Anthony,

Thank you for your answer. One more question. What tools do you use to check the responsiveness of your server?. So I can take an educated decission on what is better, internal or external MTA. (I am using Ubuntu Linux)

Thanks,

Manuel
In reply to Manuel de la Torre

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am a bottom line kind of guy - with Moodle standard theme I look at the performance data at the bottom of the page that tells me how long it took the page to load. I also use webalizer to get the stats on what the Apache server is doing and munin to get some other system information at a quick glance. That will give you an idea of the type of load you are experiencing and where any bottlenecks might be. Peace.