whoa, slow down

whoa, slow down

by mark weber -
Number of replies: 4

as they used to say in old phantom comics, "for those who came in late ... "

could some kind soul please explain to me what is going on.

i was keen to learn about wikis, so, unwisely i guess, i logged into moodle.org, saw the media wiki logo, assumed that this was the default wiki, raced off, installed it and put in some yards finding out how it all worked.

then, when trying to put this to use, i find the wiki is an erfirtwiki. cool name.

then, in this forum, folks are talking about ewiki and nwiki

is it a simple as loading media wiki into your root directory and setting as default ?

tia

mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mark weber

Re: whoa, slow down

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Mark,

Confusion is normal with wikis! more info here. nwiki is the upcoming improved version (now available for download), which is based on DFwiki, which was an optional upgrade to replace the original erfurt- or e-wiki, which is still the default on a fresh install. Media wiki is not currently integrated (I think) as its not quite as useful for teaching.
In reply to Matt Gibson

by chris blogs -
following reading the link you provided Matt, is it possible to have a form of Wiki globally working throughout your moodle site?
In reply to chris blogs

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Chris,

Not sure quite what you mean. AFAIK, you can only have one type installed at once, so all your wikis will necessarily be of that type. If you mean one big wiki like mediawiki that your site will have a single instance of, then the nearest option would be a wiki placed on the front page so everyone can access it.

Matt
In reply to chris blogs

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
If you need a global wiki you've got two options ( tree in fact)
* use mediawiki same way as moodle does, using it as http://docs.moodle.org
* create a course where all the users have access and set up a wiki (ewiki or nwiki ( I'd rather nwiki but I'm partial on this one wink ) and then just create links from the courses to the wiki pages as link resources.
* you can also create the wiki as an activity in the main course. (moodle home page)
cheers
ludo