Quiz Timer

Quiz Timer

by Chris Felinski -
Number of replies: 19
Hi - I am using Moodle 1.7 and I have two questions regarding the quiz module.

1) I want to make a quiz that is 25 minutes long, and I know how to set the time limit. But is there a way to not have that floating countdown clock on the quiz and only have the quiz countdown on the status bar of the web browser?

2) Is there a way for a prompt to show up when a student clicks the "Submit All and Finish" button if they have not answered all the questions? Something like "You have not answered all the questions, are you sure you want to submit?"
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Felinski

Re: Quiz Timer

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
1) To do this you would need to go into the code and change the countdown clock JavaScript.

2) Not easily. We have just about got this working in our in-house Moodle version, but we are unlikely to have time to release it to the community in time for 1.8. Hopefully for 1.9.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Chris Felinski -
Thanks for the response. Could you tell me which file I would go into to change the code for the countdown timer? I should be able to just comment out a section, couldn't I?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's a file with a fairly obvious name in the mod/quiz folder. Hmm, let me look ...

mod/quiz/timer.js

This is included by mod/quiz/attempt.php - near the end.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
/mod/quiz/syles.php also contains some information about the width of the time and the placement of it from the left margin. I found between making changes /mod/quiz/timer.js /mod/quiz/jstimer.php and /mod/quiz/styles.php I was able to control most of what I wanted to change and make the time much less obtrusive. For example, instead of jumping down every 100 pixels, I changed it to 25, made the point size 10 for the time and reduced the size of the box to around 60 pixels as opposed to 150. I'm attaching a screen shot of the changes that I am proposing for our production site. Peace.
Attachment Proposed.jpg
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Michael Deininger -
I do not have the styles.php page, but what I am looking to do is move the timer to the right side of the page. Since moving it to the task bar is not likely to work without lots of work that is understood. I need to move it to the right, it is covering question text and the students are complaining, some do not use high resolution and it seems to be an issue.

What would be good is to make it static near the window top, then it would not matter what side it was on. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Quiz Timer - Transparency

by Peter Johnson -
You can also edit theme/standard/styles_layout.css
and add css code that changes the transparency of the box to 50%.
There's four different settings, one for each type of browser. Here's the entire rule.
Don't forget to include a semicolon ; after each line.

#mod-quiz-attempt #timer .generalbox {
width:150px;
/* PKJ change transparency all modern browsers */
filter:alpha(opacity=50);
-moz-opacity:0.5;
-khtml-opacity: 0.5;
opacity: 0.5;
}

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Where exacly (in which file) do you set the timer to not jump down every 100 pixels, but for instance 25 pixels.

Tieku

Re: Quiz Warning Message

by Barry Oosthuizen -
It's now almost 2 years later since this question was asked but is there anything in the pipeline to get a message such as "You have not answered all the questions, are you sure you want to submit?" when a student missed some of the questions in a quiz?

Students have asked us specifically for this feature.
In reply to Barry Oosthuizen

by Tim Hunt -
Already implemented for Moodle 2.0.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Quiz Warning Message for Moodle 2.0

by Barry Oosthuizen -
That's wonderful!

I've had a look (after trying for ages) on labspace and it's pretty cool. I don't think we could ask for more. Well done!

For the benefit of others I've added some screen shots below.

The "Summary" page appears when the student reaches the end of the quiz or clicks on "End test" in the navigation.

Attachment OU_Pic.jpg
In reply to Barry Oosthuizen

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

In this screen-shot from Moodle 2.0?

What happens in 2.0 when a question is in five parts, and I answer 2 or 3 out of the 5. Is that considered answered, partially answered, partially unanswered, or not answered? I use the cloze question type in 1.93

In reply to Tieku Bortei-Doku

by Barry Oosthuizen -
The screen-shot is from the Open University Website. The OU quiz navigation will be implemented in Moodle 2.0 so I guess have a play on the OU site if you want to get a feel for how it will work.

No idea about the other question.

In reply to Tieku Bortei-Doku

by Tim Hunt -
Attached is a couple of screen shots from Moodle 2.0 dev.

The available information about how 'complete' a particular question is in a quiz attempt is rather limited. Therefore, we can only have 'not answered' (or 'Started', why did I change that?) and 'Answered'. Answered means that some answer is stored in the database - there is no way of knowing how complete it is.
Attachment screenshot.png
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Weiland -

But Moodle 2.0 is still developmental.  Is there a way to implement a warning message for unanswered questions in 1.9.4+?

Thanks

michael

In reply to Michael Weiland

by Tim Hunt -
No. Not without a lot of work.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
There doesn't seem to have been much response to the inquiries about moving the timer to the left side of the page here.... sad

I'd really like to have it out of the way as well. Haven't even started poking around in the code yet as I was hoping maybe there was something about it here on the forums but this was all I found.

I guess it's difficult? Doesn't seem like it should be that hard but what do I know...

Jason

P.S. I'm referencing 1.9.9+ not 2.0 as 2.0 is still not ready for release in a full blown live environment.
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Tim Hunt -
The code to output the timer is at the end of mod/quiz/attempt.php.

You could move that elsewhere, although when the server is heavily loaded, and so pages are being generated slowly, it is better to have it at the end of the page.

Or, you may be able to move it to where you want using CSS and/or JavaScript. The HTML that is output has plenty of classes and ids on it.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Tim,

Thanks, I ended up 'sticking' it to the bottom of the page by changing the 'absolute' to 'top' in the following code.

#mod-quiz-attempt #timer {
position:top;
/*top:100px; is set by js*/
left:10px
}

I don't know why but that caused the window to stick at the bottom left of the page.

Dealing with a much bigger problem at the moment sad Made a painful mistake while close to 200 students were taking a test via the Quiz mod and now have them all taking a paper based backup and am doing some serious reflection. Nothing worse than having to come to grips with the fact that you did something you knew was not to be done.

I think I'll start a new thread later with the details and embarrass myself in the hopes that it will help prevent someone else from doing the same thing.

Jason