sending mail automatically problem

sending mail automatically problem

by Debasis Satapathy -
Number of replies: 1
In moodle, one option is there to create new account automatically.In that feature moodle should send auto generated mails for confirmation of account.
I am running moodle in LINUX(FEDORA) OS.I have setup my sendmail service also.Still when i send mail it is showing an error message that it is unable to reach server.Do I have to specify smtp hosts, users ,password (which is indicated in moodle field)? Is it compulsory to specify these there in required fields of my moodle site or anything we have to do with my OS?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debasis Satapathy

Re: sending mail automatically problem

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello again!!

It depends! Firsly if sendmail (ie, you can send mail using the unix mail command - or mutt, or pine), Moodle *should* be able to send mail by leaving the smtp server/username/password fields empty.

If sendmail doesn't work because for any reason, you can use any smtp server that is available to you. You will need to ask your network administrator for details - it depends how you are connected to the internet.

You only need to fill in the username and password fields if you know that you need them. smtp *usualy* does not require this.

Hope this helps!