Browser / CSS trouble

Browser / CSS trouble

by Dan Price -
Number of replies: 4
Hi All,
We've recently upgraded to 1.7, and now our theme (a custom one based on standard 1.5) isn't displaying properly. As you can see from the attached image, IE6 doesn't like displaying the rounded borders and places an unsightly gap between the heading and the rest of the block, while firefox places the text too low, and partially hidden behind the content. I've had a look on the forums and through the CSS files, but I couldn't find the solution myself. Anyone got any ideas?

Dan's moodle problems
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Price

Re: Browser / CSS trouble

by Mauno Korpelainen -

There are three css tags that influence this: margin, padding and border. Firefox and IE use them differently but if you have only small values difference is small.

You should edit your theme css files and find tags with .sideblock and .clearer (they are usually in styles_layout.css), best value to start is 0.

The values of margins, paddings and borders have changed in Standard themes so it is also possible that your theme is using values from Standard Theme. In that case you can copy tags to your current theme but do not change Standard theme...

In reply to Dan Price

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Dan,

There have been a fairly large number of changes in the behaviour of themes between Moodle 1.5 and 1.6. You say you are using in Moodle 1.7 an old custom theme based on standard 1.5. This means potentially running into problems in a number of areas. Could you not envisage starting your custom theme again, basing it on Moodle 1.7's standard theme?

Of course, you can always follow Mauno's advice and try to adjust your current CSS files.

Finally, if you had this theme actually visible on a live site, giving us guest access would help us help you.

Joseph

In reply to Dan Price

by Dan Price -
I've been looking into the problem further, and decided to have a look at the standard theme that the custom one's based on. On choosing the Standard theme, Firefox appears to be unable to load the CSS file(s) at all, looking exactly like I'd turned off CSS altogether whereas IE looks about right - but still without rounded corners. I copied over the latest version of the Standard theme (from today's 1.7+) and still no change. Any thoughts?
In reply to Dan Price

by David Berry -

I think that you will find that IE always has a problem with rounded corners.  Look at the Moodle.org front page in both IE and Firefox.  Firefox has rounded corners.

About the rest of your problem - I have no idea.

Regards

David Berry