Database permissions problems after upgrading to 1.2b

Database permissions problems after upgrading to 1.2b

by Steven Day -
Number of replies: 4
After upgrading, I get the following warning. This happened with 1.1, though I can't recall exactly how I fixed it. Settings now are set at 777. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Warning: mkdir(/home/moodledata): Permission denied in /home/you/public_html/moodle/lib/moodlelib.php on line 1408

ERROR: You need to create the directory /home/moodledata with web server write access
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Day

Re: Database permissions problems after upgrading to 1.2b

by Jan Dierckx -
When your site is at /home/you/public_html/moodle ,
I think your datafolder (not visible on the web) should be in
/home/you/moodledata !

Is it possible you forget to add the you/ part?

At least that was the solution to this same question when you installed Moodle 1.1.1 wink

Look here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=4707
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Steven Day -
Yes I did forget but just changed it. Now I can access files without getting that error message. But I there are other problems that probably stem from using the old database without proper upgrade. Added resources, such as sound files, but they do not seem accessible--even though they are uploaded into database folders and paths have been specified.

At this point, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just wait until 1.2 comes out, then start over with a clean install. I had a string of error messages concerning my database when logging in as admin after upgrading. So I suspect my site is a bit messy now.

Thanks for your held Jan.

Edited: Well, emtying the cache in Safari seems to have done the trick for the the resources files. But I'm still wondering if a clean install would not prevent problems in the future.

In reply to Steven Day

by Jan Dierckx -
are you sure the error messages were about your database? The moodledatafolder is not the same as the moodle database!
The database is a mysql (or other) database with tables and fiels and records used to store user data, text entered into forums, etc...
The moodledatafolder is just a folder in your filesystem which contains all the files uploaded to the forums, files uploaded by students as assignments, etc...

Did you copy teh errormessages?
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Steven Day -
The error messages were about the DB. I corrected the setting in the php file, and everything worked fine in terms of uploading files. After that, however, resources could not find given files previously uploaded (1.1). That is when I went to my host and deleted those folders in the DB. I re-created folders, then things worked fine. As you can tell, I'm fiddling a lot with this rather blindly, which makes me nervous. But all seems to work now.