Importing Entries Using a Text File

Importing Entries Using a Text File

James Phillips -
Atsakymų skaičius: 19
Dear All,

Since the database module was introduced, I have periodically tried, on several versions of moodle, over the course of about one year, to import entries into the database using a text file. It has never worked, and I have usually asked a few questions and then ended up giving up on it. I have tried every conveivable combination of CSV including enclosed, unenclosed, simple comma separation, and even copied the example in the help file but nothing has worked. I therefore have the following questions.

1) Has anybody on here ever successfully imported a text file into a database using moodle?

2) If so, what was the file encoding (Unicode?, UTF-8, . . . ) and exact format of the file (comma separation? enclosed?).

3) Did the successfully imported file simply contain English? If so, has anybody imported a file other than English (my files contain Japanese and English).

4) Have most people, as I suspect, ended up bypassing this function and ended up inserting the entries directly into the database via php admin or some similar approach?

Regards,

James Phillips
Įvertinimų vidurkis: -
Atsakymas į James Phillips

Re: Importing Entries Using a Text File

rich holman -

James

Back in August I modded import.php because it called certain functions incorrectly. The changes I made enabled me to import using csv. One other user also reported that the changes worked for them as well.

I'm a bit out of touch with changes to the db module so I dont know if the modified script will still work, but its worth a try.

The script is attached in the AUGUST thread.

Rich

Atsakymas į rich holman

Amir Elion -

Has this problem been fixed in current version?

I am experiencing same trouble with Hebrew text and have struggled with various attempts/combinations to save from Excel and google docs, Unicode, UTF-8.

Sometimes I get the file uploaded but Hebrew text fields imported as blanks, sometimes I get this error message: The following fields in your file are not known in this database: 'Title'. Title is the first field name however in the DB...

Is this a known bug?

Atsakymas į Amir Elion

Frank Ralf -
Hi Amir,

Could you post a short sample file?

tia
Frank
Atsakymas į Frank Ralf

Amir Elion -
Here is one. Will post another version of a different attempt.
I have now also tried with Open Office and also get same errors.
Atsakymas į Amir Elion

Amir Elion -
Atsakymas į Amir Elion

Frank Ralf -
Thanks! Just did a quick check in a text editor. This file is ANSI encoded and therefore the Hebrew is lost.
Atsakymas į Amir Elion

Frank Ralf -
This file looks OK in the text editor (UTF-8 encoded), but the line feed is DOS/Windows which might cause problems when uploading such a file to a Linux server because it won't see any line feeds at all (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline#Common_problems for further details).

I converted the file to UNIX format and attached it. Please try again with that file.

hth
Frank
Atsakymas į Frank Ralf

Amir Elion -

I tried with your file and this is what I got:

The following fields in your file are not known in this database: 'after {content: "fieldset";}Title'

I did send it save the file to my windows PC on the way as it is my PC and uploaded to the Linux system of the moodle server, but I don't think it should make any difference, should it - i did not open or edit the file on my windows before trying to upload it.

Atsakymas į Amir Elion

Frank Ralf -
Have you tried exporting your database and re-importing it (see Database export)?
Or did you create the database with an external application?

Database module FAQ and Import and export FAQ might provide further information.

hth
Frank
Atsakymas į Frank Ralf

Amir Elion -

I did also export and used the exported file to add the content to the fields.

Can this not be a bug? Can we not submit it on the tracker for solution?

And another note - can we not aspire that the database import can handle upload from windows PCs as well?

Atsakymas į Amir Elion

Frank Ralf -
Here's a short list with all relevant forum discussions (9, including this one):
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?search=forumid%3A587+subject%3Adatabase+subject%3Aimport+-Re%3A+-MySQL&id=5

Especially http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=46048 looks promising.

And there are already some (8) issues in the tracker:
http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&query=database+AND+import+AND+activity&summary=true&sorter/field=summary&sorter/order=ASC

Please have a look, whether your problem is among them. I haven't used database import/export myself yet, but will do some testing.

שלום
Frank
Atsakymas į Frank Ralf

Re: Importing Entries Using a Text File - UTF-8 without BOM

Frank Ralf -
I think I found the culprit. I could reproduce your error message with your file and got suspicious because Moodle complained only about the very first entry in the file. So I saved your file in UTF-8 but this time _without_ BOM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark) and voilá - it worked!

In the attachment you find:

1. your original file, saved in UTF-8 encoding without BOM (DOS/Windows line endings, so that was a false alarm)
2. the re-exported database entries (importing this again also worked)
3. a screenshot of an entry, (there seems to be some problem with the quotes, though, try leaving them out)

hth
Frank
Atsakymas į Amir Elion

Frank Ralf -
Oops, that was me, sorry. Somehow I messed up the first line of your file. Please try again.

Frank
Atsakymas į Frank Ralf

Amir Elion -
wink

I did another attempt and was able to succeed on another PC. I used Open Office calc and this time it was on Windows XP rather than Vista on my other machine.
I started by exporting the fields from the databse, then opened the csv file in Calc, pasted the content of the fields, and saved as CSV, UTF-8 encoding. And it finally worked.

Thanks for the help.
I still think it would be helpful to be able to import non-English text without all this nueances and hassle from other platforms as well...
Atsakymas į Amir Elion

Frank Ralf -
I finally managed to save an OpenOffice Calc file as CSV file but the UTF-8 still contains a BOM. And if you choose double quotes as text delimiter the BOM even sneaks in _after_ the first opening quote where you only can see and delete it with a good Unicode editor (see screenshot)!

This is a vast field and I think I will better write something about it in Moodle Docs.
For the time being see Category:UTF-8.

Cheers,
Frank
Priedas Calc-export_BOM.png