Learning standards: Moodle and interoperability standards

Learning standards: Moodle and interoperability standards

by Fred Riley -
Number of replies: 2
Hi all from a newbie

I've just today heard about Moodle from a colleague of mine, a language lecturer at Dublin City University in Ireland (where Moodle has been adopted as the institutional VLE), and at first glance it looks to be a very exciting development, and long overdue. The main attraction of it must be that it's Open Source, in pleasing contrast to proprietary commercial VLEs that lock users in, and basing Moodle on social constructivism is also bound to appeal to an awful lot of teachers.

What interests me, as a Learning Technologist whose main current work is in the field of Reusable Learning Objects (RLOs), but whose previous incarnation was as a web developer of 10 years experience, is interoperability standards. In the case of VLEs, support for Question Test Interoperability (QTI) and perhaps Learning Object Models (LOMs). Scanning through the interesting threads on this forum it's plain that standards are a hot topic and that currently Moodle doesn't support them, not least because most haven't been finalised and are still wending their way through metadata committees where every lobby group and its uncle grinds its axe wink

My question to Moodle developers is: will Moodle support international learning standards in future versions, once standards are finalised? QTI would be a good start as I've heard (from a colleague in Scotland involved in drawing up the QTI spec) that the spec is fairly well advanced, and I'm sure teachers at my university would love the ability to shunt their question banks between systems, rather than being stuck with WebCT or Blackboard.

Oh, and someone mentioned Hot Potatoes in a thread on this forum. I'd just like to add, as someone who was in languages before this job, that IMO, and in the opinion of all my language colleagues who used it, Hot Potatoes is the bee's knees, the dog's cojones, and the cat's whiskers. It's the best test authoring system I've ever seen by some margin, and the news that it's going the XML/QTI route is very encouraging.

Cheers

Fred
Learning Technologist, School of Nursing, University of Nottingham, UK
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fred Riley

Re: Learning standards: Moodle and interoperability standards

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
>Will Moodle support international learning standards in future versions, once standards are finalised?

Sure! As many as are practical. wink

QTI is up near the top of the list ... are you interested in helping with that effort? Moodle has a plugin structure for new import/export formats.

(Also, look for Thomas Robb's new HotPot module for Moodle)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Learning standards: Moodle and interoperability standards

by Fred Riley -
Unfortunately I've neither the expertise nor the time to help out, Martin. My knowledge of QTI is pretty sketchy and I've not even downloaded Moodle, let alone familiarised myself with it. However, I'll put time aside to keep an eye on developments here. Our university has paid big money to WebCT and Blackboard so they're a bit committed at the moment, but I know that a fair few users are dissatisfied with those systems, seeing them as pretty clunky, so an Open Source interoperable alternative in the longer term may well be of increasing interest to our institution. Interestingly, I've just heard that Glasgow Uni is adopting it as the institutional VLE, so the more UK universities adopt it the stronger the case will be for Nottingham to go along the Moodle road.

Cheers

Fred