Asessing work - failure to open files

Asessing work - failure to open files

by David Hogg -
Number of replies: 6

When I am trying to grade work from an assignment of the type 'Upload a single file' I get the following error from the Microsoft software I am using:

The path or file name for C:Documents and settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\87E1QFQ1\filename[1].ppt is invalid.

Please check check that the path and filename is correct.

This happens when I am accessing the work from school but it is OK when I am accessing it from home.

My initial feeling is that it is an Anti Virus issue. Has anyone come across the same problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Hogg

Re: Asessing work - failure to open files

by Phillip Lynch -
We run into a similar problem often (in a non Moodle environment).

Try clearing your IE temporary files (tools/internet options/delete temporary files).

When IE downloads a file to run, it launches the relevant application passing the full file path on the command line. However, when the directory into which IE is downloading contains too many entries, IE puts the download into another directory but fails to change the launch command line. This is a problem with, at least, IE 5 & IE6, not sure if it's resolved in IE 7.

An alternative is to download the file, launch the application and direct it to open the downloaded file.

A 'long term' fix is to (significantly) reduce the space allocated to IE temporary files.
In reply to Phillip Lynch

by David Hogg -

Thanks.

Unfortunately I am still having problems with this issue (on every machine I try) . I have tried with more than one moodle installation and the same result each time.

Files can be opened from other sites so I am at a loss as to why this is happenning.

In reply to David Hogg

by Mark Pearson -
I hesitate to suggest this, but I think you'll find that Moodle works much more smoothly with Firefox A number of my faculty have had problems of one sort or another with Internet Exploder which have gone away with Firefox. Why not try downloading it to your home machine and give it a whirl?

Mark
In reply to Mark Pearson

by David Hogg -
Thanks for this.
Firefox does indeed solve this problem.
I look forward to using it from now on!

In reply to David Hogg

by Simon Billington -
Hi David

Hope you had a good break. We have had the same issue. No problems in school with Firefox but IE seems to have an issue. Only started after christmas so leads me to think that something has changed either in the web cache or some Microsoft service pack or update that has been downloaded.

I will have another go in school tomorrow and let you know if I find anything. As a work around we are right clicking and saving the file to the desktop and then opening it from there. If you solve this in the mean time then let me know.

Cheers

Simon
In reply to Simon Billington

by David Hogg -
Have decided to use Firefox so will have to check county IS stance on using non IE browsers.
Thanks