Databases: shared mySQL database

Databases: shared mySQL database

paul walker
Number of replies: 3

Hi folks, happy new year

Is it possible, or adviseable, to use the same database for both Moodle and phpBB2. I work for a small teaching organisation and have been using phpBB2 for a couple of years but am keen to try out Moodle. I know that I can pay the host for a second database but was wondering whether I could install to the existing one so that the moodle tables would reside with the phpBB2 tables

kind regards

paul

평균 등급 : -
In reply to paul walker

Re: Databases: shared mySQL database

Marcus Green
Core developers 사진 Particularly helpful Moodlers 사진 Plugin developers 사진 Testers 사진
It shouldn't be a problem. Moodle uses a system appropriate to shared hosting/single databases whereby tables are given a prefix (mdl_ by default). Thus it is quite easy to install multiple moodles on the same database simply by using a different prefix, which is what I do.

If getting a second database is a trivial cost then go for that solution for ease of messing, but otherwise sharing is no problem.
In reply to Marcus Green

paul walker
Thank you for your assisstance. Am back 2 work tomorrow - will have a bash.

How sad is that, wanting to get back to work after the new year break to mess around with databases - anyone got a life for sale??
In reply to paul walker

Marcus Green
Core developers 사진 Particularly helpful Moodlers 사진 Plugin developers 사진 Testers 사진
I think you have a problem with your work/life balance. Can't you get some kind of dial in vpm style solution so you can be at work when you are on holiday? Or perhaps a way of replicating the work system at your own home so you can be at work even if your net connection goes down? (grins)