Podcasting: ipodcast v.37b3

Podcasting: ipodcast v.37b3

by Thomas Dolsky -
Number of replies: 78

A new beta some new features and goodbye to a few bugs.

New features

1. the pcast:// uri is automatically used on Macintosh clients
  2. pdf attachment support - needs checked seems to work
  3. automatic installation of language file

Bugs fixed

1. apostrophe's errors are finally gone I think
  2. & in the categories was causing an xml error - fixed now
  3. 1.7 seems fully functional on my servers.

Bugs  and Notes

1. Video files won't play correctly if display_errors = On in php.ini .  There are some notices that are corrupting the file.
  2. I am only testing on the 1.7 platform now.  Any 1.6 bugs report in this thread and I will get them fixed up.
  3. Some help files still missing
  4. Help files still need to be manually copied into lang folder
  5. Some media files won't upload - next bug to look at.
  6. Roles are starting to take shape but will take some time to finish.
  7. Permissions and security are virtually unchecked..

http://www.cytekmedia.com/ipodcast/ipodcast-v37b3.zip

*****v.37b3
01/02/07 Tom Dolsky     - Changed stripslashes to stripslashes_safe
01/02/07 Tom Dolsky     - Fixed some addslashes bugs
01/02/07 Tom Dolsky     - Added pcast:// uri for Macintosh only Not 100% positive on Windows yet
01/02/07 Tom Dolsky     - Added ability to support pdf files
01/02/07 Tom Dolsky     - Changed stripslashes to stripslashes_safe
01/02/07 Tom Dolsky     - Fixed & character in categories
01/04/07 Tom Dolsky     - Fixed some stripslashes bugs
01/02/07 Tom Dolsky     - Updated support for roles in library

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Dolsky

Re: Podcasting: ipodcast v.37b3

by Juvenal Sahiri -
Hi Thomas,
Going through the readme file, I read:
1) * Darwin streaming server.
There are two ways to utilize the Darwin Streaming Server(DSS). Both are very insecure at this time because the entire moodledata folder is exposes through DSS. If security is an issue don't use it at this point.

The first is to install DSS on the moodle server. After you have a working DSS set the DSS media directory to the moodledata directory.

Question: How does one install the DSS on the moodle server? Is this a process which is additional to installing Ipodcast in the moodle/mod directory?

2) In the podcast module settings set the Darwin base URL to the root of your DSS "rtsp://192.168.1.240/" iPodcast will add the remaining path to the root.
Each iPodcast course settings can override the Darwin URL so make sure it is also set properly. Enable Darwin support in the iPodcast course settings.

Question: Is the rstp IP address mandatory or can one use any IP address in the LAN, e.g 192.168.1.125?

3) The second is to manually copy the media files to another server. The same directory structure of the moodledata must be maintained inorder for it to function.

Questions: (i) Which media files are to be copied manually to another server. (ii) which "other" server are you talking about, and (iii) what is meant by maintaining the directory structure of moodledata. My moodledata directory contains these folders: 1 (which contains an empty ipodcast folder as I have not created a podcast yet), 2, 3, 4, cache, session, temp, upgradelogs, users, .htaccess.

4) Make sure your Darwin base URL's are set properly and Darwin support is enabled. iPodcast darwin link will stream from the other DSS.

Question: Isn't the Darwin base URL the one set above, i.e rtsp://192.168.1.240/

5) At this point any files that are uploaded
This sentence is incomplete...

*********************************************************************************************************************************
* File Hinting
If you want to be able to hint files for Darwin Streaming server purposes download the mpeg4ip package for your particular platform.
Binaries are available around the net. Install in a php executable directory. I installed mine in c:/php/ on windows and the standard /usr/local/bin in linux.
Go to the module settings and set the paths including the executable name. Example "C:/php/mp4creator.exe" for windows.
At that point if you upload an mp4 in the attachment tab a hint button will appear. Pushing this button will add streaming hint tracks.

Question: Is installing mpeg4ip a must for the system to work? Or, is it necessary only for hinting files for Darwin server? Why do I ask? Because I visited the mpeg4IP and the number of requirements one must go through to install it is kind of a pain (at least for windows). By the time one is through with installing all these prerequisites, he has forgotten what he set out to do with the podcast.

6) In the Ipdcast level default settings, which info is supposed to go in the File path to mpeg4ip mp4info executable. The read me explains clearly what the path to mp4creator will be as you give your own example for windows.

Thanks for everything. Podcasting is a very useful module in education.
Juvenal.

by Dan Poltawski -
3. automatic installation of language file
Why is this necessary? I have setup the file permisisons such that changes can't be made to the base moodle directory. The installation of the lanage file causes errors because of this.

Modules lang files should automatically picked up from the module directory - and indeed it works with this ipodcast module without the need for copying into the base lang directory.

Thanks for the great work smile

by Stephen Bourget -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tom,

Couple of bugs:

1. Course setup page generates the following error:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$userid in C:\WebSites\Moodle\Moodle17\mod\ipodcast\setupcourse.php on line 235

2. When I go to view the audio file (MP3) using the download link I just get a quicktime logo with a questionmark. It seems the file cannot be found.

3. The Embedded multimedia player cannot play the audio file either

4. When I click the add to itunes podcasts link I get the following:
(Attaching document source)
<br />
<b>Notice</b>: Trying to get property of non-object in <b>C:\WebSites\Moodle\Moodle17\lib\accesslib.php</b> on line <b>1062</b><br />
<br />
<b>Notice</b>: Trying to get property of non-object in <b>C:\WebSites\Moodle\Moodle17\lib\accesslib.php</b> on line <b>1062</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\WebSites\Moodle\Moodle17\lib\accesslib.php:1062) in <b>C:\WebSites\Moodle\Moodle17\lib\filelib.php</b> on line <b>259</b><br />
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE pcast PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PCAST 1.0//EN" "http://www.itunes.com/DTDs/pcast-1.0.dtd">
 <pcast version="1.0">

<channel>
 <link rel="feed" type="application/rss+xml" href="http://10.0.64.20/moodle/moodle17/mod/ipodcast/getfeed.php/2/2/ipodcast/1/rss.xml" />
 <title>Course Fullname 101</title>
 <subtitle>Write a concise and interesting paragraph here that explains what this course
is about</subtitle>
 </channel>
 </pcast>
5. When I try to view the RSS feed I get the following error:
(Attaching document source)
<br />
<br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\WebSites\Moodle\Moodle17\lib\accesslib.php:1062) in <b>C:\WebSites\Moodle\Moodle17\lib\filelib.php</b> on line <b>259</b><br />
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rss version="2.0">
 <channel>
 <title>test</title>
 <link>http://10.0.64.20/moodle/moodle17</link>
 <description>test</description>
 <generator>Moodle</generator>
 <copyright>&amp;#169; 2007 test</copyright>
 <image>
 <url>http://10.0.64.20/moodle/moodle17/pix/i/rsssitelogo.gif</url>
 <title>moodle</title>
 <width>140</width>
 <height>35</height>
 </image>
 <item>
 <title>RSS Error</title>
 <pubDate>Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:26:17 EST</pubDate>
 <description>Error reading RSS data</description>
 <guid isPermaLink="true">http://10.0.64.20/moodle/moodle17</guid>
 </item>
 </channel>
</rss>
Environment Information:
Moodle 1.7+ from CVS Checkout
PHP 5.1.4
MySQL 4.1.21
Apache 2.0.59 on Windows Server 2003
Moodle 17 Debug set to: normal
Clean Install of Podcast .37b3
In reply to Stephen Bourget

by Thomas Dolsky -

Yep all of which are caused by display_errors = On as stated in bug #1

It must be off in order for the module to function.  All the errors you listed are caused by the same problem that currently I don't have a work around at the moment due to the way that the roles are currently implemented and how it recieves the user and course.

Tom

by Juvenal Sahiri -
Tom,
Finally managed to install Ipodcast successfully (took quite a while to get darwin streaming server working as it doesn't work with all versions of activeperl.

I cannot find the button you refer to in the readme file for ipdocast 37b3 and which is also on moodle wiki:
"To subscribe to the podcast click on "Podcasts" under activities for the course.
Its on the upper left side on my moodle. This should bring up a list of published podcasts, probably just one if you were following this from scratch.
In the upper right corner should be a rss iPodcast button right click and copy shortcut or link. "

Following those steps, I have instead of a rss button, Ipodcast Setup button which when clicked on, gives me the podacst settings page: Edit, Setup, Itunes Tag, Darwin Streaming Server, Image File.

When I login as a student and click on the course and then podcast under activities and select one and open it, I have View Podcast and Comments, but no attachment and no Darwin Attachment.

Believe that I don't have an installation problem but rather an understanding of how the system works. All the more since Help file "ipodcast.html" could not be found!

Can anyone who is conversant with using Podcast help by providing a step by step how to.

Re: ipodcast v.37b3 can't seem to get the activity visible

by Ben Nasse -
I am running 1.7.1 on a Fedora 5 system have installed v.37b3 and done all the copying of files etc. and editing of the httpd.conf but still I do not seem to see any sign of the Activity. Any suggestions on what I might look at?

ps. Our school is going to be running a summer school program that gives iPods to kids to augment lectures and I would love to have it integrate smoothly with our Moodle installation. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ben Nasse
In reply to Ben Nasse

by Thomas Dolsky -

Here are my quick ideas

Make sure its not embeded inside another folder.  moodle/mod/ipodcast/<all files here>

Check permissions against your other web directory files.

Fedora core 5 has Selinux installed by default.  If its running make sure the contexts have been set.  You should be able to use your existing files as a reference to set the context

Login to moodle as administrator and under site administration click on notifications and see if the ipodcast install begins.

Thats all I can think of at the moment

Cheers

Tom

by Ben Nasse -
Thanks, Tom it was just that click on Notifications. I had no idea that is how modules are activated. Right now, I am trying to figure out the .htaccess thing. In its current form it needs to be modified to work with my Fedora 5 ,Apache 2.2.3, PHP 5.1.6 set up and I am having a hard time sorting out the correct syntax and location for the directives. Right now I can only upload mp3 and .mov files. I might try adding the directives directly to httpd.conf file. Also it seems as though when I click on the subscribe link iTunes opens but the podcasts do not download. Thanks a bunch. This module is really going be the glue between our students and a class in which all members will have iPods.

Thanks
Ben

by Vern Kollas -
Since I think my post in "the long thread" might be missed and I see you have an update out. Is there a "proper" way to install the new module?? Do I just delete the current module (v.35) and install this one?? Please excuse me as I am new in working with the "guts" of moodle.

Thanks!

Vern
In reply to Vern Kollas

by Thomas Dolsky -

Just copy over the top and let moodle update the module.  You may have to manually copy the language file depending on your installation.  Follow the readme for instructions on the language file.

Tom

by Vern Kollas -
Tom,

Thank you very much for the reply. I will give this a try and see how it goes.

Vern

EDIT: IT WORKS!!! WOOHOO!!! Thanks for writing such a great module. I will have to keep checking back to keep up with any other updates that come along.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Re: ipodcast v.37b3 - problem with roles?

by Jon Streeter -

Hey there,

I have just upgraded from 1.6

I am running 1.7.1+ with ipodcast v.37b3

When i create a podcast and then attach a file i get the questionmark quicktime logo.  If i click on the link to view the file i get a message that states:

"You are not a student or teacher of this course!"

I am of course logged in as an administrator.

I assume there is some voodoo with the new roles in 1.7 that is causing this problem - am I missing something obvious?

-jon

by John Mansel-Pleydell -
Installed the Module on a Mac OSX Server running OSX 10.4.x and have been able to successfully create an activity and podcast. When, however I uploaded a file (.m4a) to the server it appeared to upload ok but was not visible.

I then did some more reading of this thread and the instructions (readme.txt) and added the 4 mime types to /library/webserver/documents/moodle/lib/filelib.php

Now I can see the files and choose them as attachments to the podcast.

My problem is that when clicking on the file link I appear to have a malformed URL.

I have changed the servername but the rest was as parsed by moodle when the link was clicked on.

Thanks

John
In reply to John Mansel-Pleydell

by Worth Bishop -
Ran into the same thing because I'd failed to modify Apache config to set "AllowOveride All" on the /mod/ipodcast folder - did that and problem went away.

Good luck.
In reply to John Mansel-Pleydell

by Chris Felinski -
We are having a similar problem with the ipodcast module. We are using Ubuntu, and the URL that is being parsed by Moodle is not accurate. When we attempt to listen to the podcast, we get a question mark over the quicktime logo. We have enabled Allow Override All to the htmaccess in the mod/ipodcast folder, as suggested by another thread. First, is there a way to check to make sure that we have set that permission correctly?

Second, here is an example of one of our links that are being created by Moodle automatically, and what the actual path of the file is.

Example:

Below is what is being created by Moodle, and this link is inaccurate

When we look at our file structure, the link should look like this: (notice no 5 and no 12 in the link)

We also don't understand what those variables are for. Any help would be appreciated!
In reply to Chris Felinski

by Thomas Dolsky -

The link has nothing to do with file structure.  The top url is the correct format.

I would assume the media extensions are not executing as php code. 

if you save the link to a file and read it and see php code then your Allow override isnt working properly.

The readme is the best place for how to get that setup properly.

The current version I am testing has a button in the module setting page to test this.  Nice and quick to see if everything is setup propery.

Tom

by Chris Felinski -
Thanks for that information. When I save the link, the file saves as file.mp3 and when I open file.mp3, the following comes up:

<?PHP
/******************************************************************************\
* Filename: file.mp3
* See file.php for description
* Copyright, Thomas E. Dolsky Cytek Media Systems, Inc.
* tomd@cytekmedia.com
\******************************************************************************/
include_once('file.php');

?>

I assumed that means that my Allow Override isn't working? How do I go fixing my Allow Override? What I did was I went to /moodle/mod/ipodcast and edited my .htaccess and I thought that would fix it, so now my htaccess file says

AllowOverride All

AddType application/x-httpd-php .pdf
AddType application/x-httpd-php .jpg
AddType application/x-httpd-php .png
AddType application/x-httpd-php .mp3
AddType application/x-httpd-php .mp4
AddType application/x-httpd-php .m4v
AddType application/x-httpd-php .m4a
AddType application/x-httpd-php .m4b
AddType application/x-httpd-php .mov

What else would I need to do?
In reply to Chris Felinski

by Thomas Dolsky -

Put the original .htaccess back in the ipodcast folder.  Yours is now incorrect.  You need to edit the httpd.conf and add

<Directory "<your path to moodle root here>/mod/ipodcast">
    AllowOverride All
</Directory>

That will allow Apache to read and override its defaults for the ipodcast folder using the .htaccess file in it.

Use the readme for a further description of how to do this.

Tom

回應: Re: ipodcast v.37b3

by Lee Karen -
Hi~Thomas
Thanks for developing this module.
However, I got some problems.
I am running Moodle 1.8.3 and ipodcast v.37b3. It runs well.
But, I can't see the RSS feeder.-->my site
Could you please tell me how to fix that?

Thanks anyway!!
In reply to Lee Karen

Re: 回應: Re: ipodcast v.37b3

by Stephen Bourget -
I had encountered a similar problem on my site (running Moodle 1.8.2+).

The RSS feed icon would appear only for users who were admins and would not appear for student users.

To fix the problem I had to modify the file getpodcast.php

Replace line 67 of getpodcast.php:

if ((!$course->guest || $course->password) && (!($isstudent || $isteacher))) {

with

if(!has_capability('mod/ipodcast:participate', ipodcast_context($ipodcast_course->id), $userid)){

This allowed the RSS icon to appear (assuming that is was enabled from both the module configuration page (site admin block) and the course configuration page)

I hope this helps

回應: Re: 回應: Re: ipodcast v.37b3

by Lee Karen -
Thank you for telling me how to fix the problem.大笑
I try to change the file as you say but the tab Podcast still can't access.
So I don't know if the RSS feeder is work now.
Do you know how to fix it? Thank you very much!!微笑

Thanks for everything.
Karen
In reply to Lee Karen

Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: ipodcast v.37b3

by Juliajna Novakovic -

I use Moodle 1.8.3 to.

If you want to use RSS feeds try to do this:

Site Administration ----->Server---->RSS-----> check ‘Enable RSS feeds’ ---> ‘save settings’

Could not add a new instance ipodcast v.37b3

by mike alfred -
I am new to podcasting and have just installed this module on our server.
We are running Moodle 1.6.3 (2006050530) and ipodcast v.37b3.
I can add new podcasts to some courses but a few are stating that "Could not add a new instance"
My question how to I fix that?

Thanks Mike
In reply to mike alfred

Re: Could not add a new instance ipodcast v.37b3

by Michele Ceccarelli -
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem of mike.
"Could not add a new instance" when creating a
new podcast activity.

I suppose this problem is due to the migration.

I installed moodle 1.7 and ipodcast v37b3 on a new machiche and it worked fine.
Any ideas?

Many thanks
Michele
In reply to Michele Ceccarelli

Re: Could not add a new instance ipodcast v.37b3

by Juan M Torres -

Same problem, I am using Moodle 1.8 + and once I add the Activity a new screen with the title of "Adding a new Podcast to topic 1" comes up but nothing else shows up in the screen, followed by an error message "Could not add a new instance"

Please need some help with this.

thx
Juan 

Re: ipodcast v.37b3 Can't play mp3

by Dante Leon -
I have installed ipodcast v.37b3 and everything went well. I have also modified the filelib.php adding the 4 mime types. However, when I want to run an mp3 audio file I only a QuickTime question mark and it hangs in there.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix that?

Thanks,

Dante
In reply to Dante Leon

Re: ipodcast v.37b3 Can't play mp3

by Craig Brady -

We are having the same issue.  Also, when you subscribe to the podcast in iTunes, you cannot get the podcast.

Craig

Re: ipodcast v.37b3 and Moodle 1.8

by Stephen Bourget -
The iPodcast v.37b3 works well on Moodle 1.8. The debugging messages no longer appear, but I've encountered a few new issues:

1. The Navigation bar appears but the only working link is back to the site page, all of the course links are not links.

This can be fixed by replacing a few lines of code in setupcourse.php and view.php

In the file view.php:

Replace the code on line 77:

print_header("$course->shortname: " . stripslashes_safe($ipodcast->name), "$course->fullname", "$navigation <A HREF=index.php?id=$course->id>$stripodcast</A> -> " . stripslashes_safe($ipodcast->name), "", "", true, "", navmenu($course, $cm));

with:

print_header_simple(format_string($ipodcast->name), "","<a href=\"index.php?id=$course->id\">$stripodcast</a> ->" . format_string($ipodcast->name), "", "", true, navmenu($course, $cm));

In the file setupcourse.php

replace the code on line 130:

print_header("$course->shortname: " . stripslashes_safe($ipodcast_course->name), "$course->fullname",
"$navigation <A HREF=index.php?id=$course->id>$stripodcast</A> -> " . stripslashes_safe($ipodcast_course->name), "", "", true, "");

with:

print_header_simple("$course->shortname: " . stripslashes_safe($ipodcast_course->name), "","$stripodcast", "", "", true, "", navmenu($course));

2. Backup and Restore are broken

As seen in issue MDL-8189, modules that do not have a xxx_backup_one_mod() function are not backed up. I've modified the existing backup and restore code for the iPodcast module to support this function. This has not been heavily tested, but it seems to work on my Windows / Apache install here.

3. Missing Help Files

I've added some of the help files that were missing in the event they are of use to anyone. The only help files that are still missing are attachwithcomment.html, coursecomment.html, and studentscanpost.html

Re: ipodcast v.37b3 and Moodle 1.8

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Stephen, this works perfectly for the breadcrumbs - thanks!

Seems those 2 modified files are not in your zip file though.

Matt

by Stuart Anderson -
Hi Thomas,

Great module. Thanks. Just wanted to pick up on a comment in the README.txt

"* Darwin streaming server.
There are two ways to utilize the Darwin Streaming Server(DSS). Both are very insecure at this time because the entire moodledata folder is exposes through DSS. If security is an issue don't use it at this point."

Security obviously is a big issue. I assume it means that if a teacher has solutions to problems as uploaded files inside moodle then these are potentially streamable if someone guesses the right URL? (or have I misunderstood the problem?).

So do you have any possible ideas about how the security issues could be solved (or anyone else for that)? Is it even solvable?

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks,

--Stuart.

by Richard Burton -
Hi Thomas

I don't think the apostrophe errors are all fixed, when I try and create a course who's name or description contains one and then add a podcast the sql falls over, eg

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'to break course Podcast', 'Write a concise and interesting paragraph here that e' at line 1

INSERT INTO mdl_ipodcast_courses ( COURSE, USERID, ENABLETSSERIES, ENABLEDARWIN, AUTHKEY, NAME, SUMMARY, COMMENT, IMAGE, IMAGEHEIGHT, IMAGEWIDTH, DARWINURL, RSSARTICLES, RSSSORTING, ENABLERSSFEED, ENABLERSSITUNES, EXPLICIT, SUBTITLE, KEYWORDS, TOPCATEGORY, NESTEDCATEGORY, TIMECREATED, TIMEMODIFIED ) VALUES ( 8, 2, 0, 0, '12345678', 'Quote ' to break course Podcast', 'Write a concise and interesting paragraph here that explains what this course is about '
', '', '', 144, 144, '', 5, 0, 1, 1, 0, 'Write a concise and interesting paragraph here that explains what this course is about '', '', 4, 14, 1184336346, 1184336346 )

Thanks

Richard

by Dave Withnall -
Greetings all,

When setting up this module I've come across a an issue that I haven't been able to figure out.

When attempting to use the "Add to iTunes Podcasts" link. Moodle produces the following error.
This happens if to students,teachers & admins.

Error: Invalid context creation request for level "50", instance "2".
  • line 1685 of lib/accesslib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 1844 of lib/accesslib.php: call to create_context()
  • line 495 of mod/ipodcast/lib.php: call to get_context_instance()
  • line 522 of mod/ipodcast/lib.php: call to ipodcast_context()
  • line 62 of mod/ipodcast/getpodcast.php: call to ipodcast_is_student()

Error: Invalid context creation request for level "50", instance "2".
  • line 1685 of lib/accesslib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 1844 of lib/accesslib.php: call to create_context()
  • line 495 of mod/ipodcast/lib.php: call to get_context_instance()
  • line 503 of mod/ipodcast/lib.php: call to ipodcast_context()
  • line 63 of mod/ipodcast/getpodcast.php: call to ipodcast_is_teacher()

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/dat/www/moodle/lib/weblib.php:5220) in /var/dat/www/moodle/lib/filelib.php on line 297

Does anyone have any ideas how to go about fixing this?

Regards,
Dave.
In reply to Dave Withnall

by Dave Withnall -
I found my problem. Not sure why it hasn't affected anyone else.
The file getpodcast.php was authorizing the students & staff against the course ipodcast id, rather than the course #.

#62 $isstudent = ipodcast_is_student($ipodcast_course->id,$userid); 
#63 $isteacher = ipodcast_is_teacher($ipodcast_course->id,$userid);

I just altered the code to use the course #.
#62 $isstudent = ipodcast_is_student($ipodcast_course->course,$userid); 
#63 $isteacher = ipodcast_is_teacher($ipodcast_course->course,$userid);

As I said, I don't know why anyone else didn't come across this issue.

Cheers,
Dave.

by Kevin Bennett -
I have a clean Moodle 1.8 installation and have added iPodcast.  I keep getting "Could not add a new instance" when selecting Podcast from the blocks list.  Please help smile

by Eduardo Del Valle -
Hi, I have just installed the Activity module, clicked on Notifications, fine until then. Later when I tried to add a podcast to a course, I tried to upload a file, that seemed that worked but the pop-up browsing windows shows no file.

I go to the course FIles and there it is, inside the ipodcast folder. but I cannot see it at all through the ipodcast browser pop-up window.

Any clue?

thanks.
In reply to Eduardo Del Valle

by Thomas Dolsky -

What type of file m4a,m4b or m4v ?

Excerpt from readme.txt file

to add the m4v,m4b  and m4a extensions they need to be added to the function mimeinfo() at the top of the /lib/filelib.php
around line 94 on moodle 1.8 find the line

'mp3'  => array ('type'=>'audio/mp3', 'icon'=>'audio.gif'),

and replace with the following 4 line snippit

//**snip**
        'mp3'  => array ('type'=>'audio/mpeg', 'icon'=>'audio.gif'),
        'm4a'  => array ('type'=>'audio/x-m4a', 'icon'=>'audio.gif'),
        'm4b'  => array ('type'=>'audio/x-m4b', 'icon'=>'audio.gif'),
        'm4v'  => array ('type'=>'video/x-m4v', 'icon'=>'video.gif'),
//**end snip**

I will probably remove dependancy on the incomplete moodle mimeinfo() in future versions to get rid of this issue.  The line number above has probably changed so just hunt for the correct line.

Tom

by Eduardo Del Valle -
Thank you so much Tom for the information, it works now. I forgot that last part.

Thank you.
In reply to Eduardo Del Valle

by Detlef Ufert -
we installed ipodcast with moodle 1.8.
I have not figured out, however, how to allow students to add podcasts. Even if the role for students explicitedly allows students to create and edit podcasts only the view button shows up. Only the course creator and admin are allowed to add new attachments. Are there any settings I have missed?

Detlef

by Scott Brubaker -
I just install ipodcast v.37b3 on our Moodle 1.8.4+ install. I really like it so far, the install went through without a hitch. Its about time I get an install like that.

I do have one minor silly issue. There is no podcast icon next to the podcast links. I've included a picture to show what I mean. Any suggestions?

podcase mission icon
In reply to Scott Brubaker

by Scott Brubaker -
Figured it out. I needed to copy the icon file over to the correct theme we are using. Doh!

by Scott Brubaker -
Something else I just noticed is that I do not have the RSS iPodcast button containing the link to subscribe to a podcast.

by Scott Brubaker -
I figured it out, looking in the wrong place.....

I have doubled checked that ipodcast_enablerssfeeds, ipodcast_enablerssitunes, and ipodcast_usemediafilter are all set to yes under the modules settings and
that RSS feeds are enabled across the whole site.

by Jason Ward -
Then maybe you can help me out, I'm looking for the link and I CANNOT find it, and I have it set up to build the RSS feed. Isn't it on the Podcasts listing?

ipodcast v.37b3 and Moodle 1.9

by Larry Elchuck -
Does ipodcast v.37b3 work with moodle 1.9?

I tried to install it and it came up with 3 table errors.

thanks
larry
In reply to Larry Elchuck

Re: ipodcast v.37b3 and Moodle 1.9

by Stephen Bourget -
I have it installed on my test server under Moodle 1.9 and it seems to be working properly. (PHP 5.2.5 , MySQL 4.1.21)

Which Database are you using?

by Scott Chantry -
I'm running moodle 1.9 and everytime I click on the add activity and select Podcast, I get the following error: Could not add a new instance. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this?
In reply to Scott Chantry

by Paul Taylor -
I had the same error on one course. I'm not sure if it will be the same for you, but mine turned out to be too much, or unacceptable code in the course description field. If you look at the table mdl_ipodcast_courses, this is where the podcast is set up for the course in question. One of the fields is called summary and is set for longtext, which should be fine. In the course settings, description, my client had loads of information, "" colours, lines bold etc. I changed all of this for "basic course about x", and the podcast interface came straight up. I don't know if the field can be modified to handle this or not, but this worked for me. If you enable debug to be viewed on your site and try, you may see the same as me:

INSERT INTO mdl_ipodcast_courses ( COURSE, USERID, DEFAULTVISIBILITY, ENABLETSSERIES, STREAMENABLE, STREAMHEIGHT, STREAMWIDTH, STREAMCONSTRAIN, STREAMASPECT, STREAMCUSTOMSIZE, STREAMAUTOPLAY, AUTHKEY, NAME, SUMMARY, COMMENT, IMAGE, IMAGEHEIGHT, IMAGEWIDTH, IMAGECONSTRAIN, AUDIOPLAYERDEFAULT, VIDEOPLAYERDEFAULT, STREAMPLAYERDEFAULT, DEFAULTPLAYER, MEDIASHOWLINK, MEDIASHOWEMBED, MEDIAAUTOPLAY, IMAGECUSTOMSIZE, STREAMURL, RSSARTICLES, RSSSORTING, ENABLERSSFEED, ENABLERSSITUNES, EXPLICIT, SUBTITLE, KEYWORDS, TOPCATEGORY, NESTEDCATEGORY, TIMECREATED, TIMEMODIFIED ) VALUES ( 65, 3, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, '12598529', 'AAT Certificate in Accounting - Unit 30 & 31 Podcast', ' <font color="#000066"><font size="4" color="#0000cc"></font><hr color="#cc0099" style="width: 100%; height: 2px;" /></font><font color="#000099">If you'd like to gain a good &quot;hands on&quot; grasp of essential accounting skills and principles, and how to apply them in your job, this course offers just what you're looking for. </font> <p><font color="#000099">Unlike more formal bookkeeping training,........ad infinitum

Hope this makes sense?

Paul
In reply to Paul Taylor

by Stephen Bourget -
I've recently done some testing with iPodcast v.37b3 under Moodle 1.9+ - 1.9.1+ and found / fixed a few bugs. I'm posting the updated files here in the event they are useful to anyone

The attached files fix the following issues:

1. Backup & restore - see MDL-8189.

2. Navigation - I updated the module to use the build_navigation() function to show the correct values in the navigation bar (The patches posted above in the update for Moodle 1.8 post will generate debug warnings)

3. There area also a few fixes for some SQL errors specifically when the course description contains an apostrophe (As shown in the post above)

4. There are also some fixes to when the module writes data to the Moodle logs (These updates prevent the Moodle site from sending out emails saying that insert into log failed on your site)

5. Added the ability to search the module configuration with the site administration block.

6. I've also attached the help files that were posted above in (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=61761#p326823)
In reply to Paul Taylor

by Daniel Gagnon -
Paul,
thanks for that. You just saved me a ton of work and emails with my sysadmin folks. I know they'll appreciate it.
In reply to Scott Chantry

by govinda gurung -

i'm also having this problem. There are few other things that i need help with. Did you find any solution for your problem Scott? I don't know how to set up that Darwin streaming server url.

Thanks

by Connor Sekley -
Hi,

I am in the process of installing this module, but when i open up my lib folder there is nothing in there. I looked in the filelib.php file in the ipodcast folder but am unable to find the correct lines to replace. Any help would be appreciated.
In reply to Connor Sekley

by Nicholas McJetters -
As of filelib.php for 1.9.3 (maybe even earlier than that), this has moved. It appears to start now at line 312. This would supersede the documentation that indicates line 54.

by Brandon Tilley -
Greetings!

We have used ipodcast with great success for quite a while. Recently, we upgraded to 1.9, and upgraded ipodcast to v37b3.

Recently, we've started having some problems mentioned elsewhere on this thread. Specifically, when you back up a course that contains a podcast, and restore that course to a new course, not only is the podcast not backed up, but it is no longer possible to add a new podcast to the course.

Attempting to do so, it appears everything is working. However, after the podcast is "created," it does not show up on the course page. Attempting to add one again gives "Could not add a new instance of ipodcast."

I have tried the two posted code modifications with no success. One of them *almost* worked, but not quite.

My question is, what locations in the database store the information about modules and where they live? I have tried inserting and/or deleting records from ipodcast, ipodcast_courses, and course_modules with no success. At this point, we only wish to get the courses affected by this bug back to the point where we can add a new podcast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

by Jonathan Konrad -
We use this module in two district Moodle installs. Both are running 1.9.3. It works great, we love it!

I have just now run into a snag with this module in a specific course. In this course I can build a podcast. I can add items. They play back online. What I can not do is subscribe to the podcast in iTunes or other software. When I choose "iTunes", iTunes loads, but the podcast shows with an exclamation mark beside it and the URL in the name instead of the name. Also, no episodes come in.

It is only a problem in this one specific course, but I dont' know where to begin in trouble shooting it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
In reply to Jonathan Konrad

by Renee Vander Veen -
I just upgraded our Moodle to 1.9.4. When logging into our class, instead of going to our front page, I get the following message:

"Tried to modify database, but "/home/hrcla3/public_html/mod/Ipodcast/db/mysql.sql" doesn't exist! Ipodcast tables could NOT be set up successfully!"

Then it says click "continue." However, when I click continue it doesn't change the page.

Any suggestions?
In reply to Renee Vander Veen

by Joshua Westerway -
Have you attempted to download the module again and replace the installed folder? its searching for the missing SQL db file, might need to delete the module and allow it to reinstall when you have the folder replaced with the missing file.
In reply to Jonathan Konrad

by Sharmilee T -
Hi Jonathan,

I was wondering if you managed to solve this as I am experiencing the same problem.
In reply to Sharmilee T

by Stephen Bourget -
Please check the Name, summary, and notes fields on both the course setup form and each individual "episode". My guess is that there is an apostrophe in one of these that is breaking the RSS feed.

I ran across a bug in the module that if you have either quotes or apostrophies in any of these fields it doesn't save / read the data back from the database properly.

-Steve

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Salvador Reyna -

Hi,

First of all, say sorry for my shor experience, next looking for help to complete my ipodcast v.33 installation process.

Once I install, no error messages appear, so everything seems to be ok.

When I show the Activities on my course, the 'ipodcas' doesn't appear as it, instead is showed as 'modulename', when I click on it, I get the error : Course Id is incorrect.

Did I miss something ?

Thank you for help.

Attachment ipodcast_err.PNG

by Ranjit Sankar -
Is this module being maintained anymore? I am using Moodle 1.9.6 running on PHP5 and Apache and getting syntax errors that html2text() is not found. Have been trying to fix each error but looks like a long process. Am i mistaken ? Has anybody seen this ?
In reply to Ranjit Sankar

by Stephen Bourget -
I emailed the original developer last week trying to find out if there was any planned maintenance / upgrades planned to the module, But I haven't gotten a reply yet.

The error that you are referencing above is caused by a change in Moodle where they replaced the html2text() function with a html_to_text() function.

I've patched the module in a few places and you can grab the updated module here:

http://goffstown.k12.nh.us:8100/~sbourget/ipodcast_19X.zip

(It was a little to big to attach to this post)

It should address that issue you describe.

-Steve

by Ranjit Sankar -
Stephen, thanks. Yes, i had also observed that the definition had changed and hence the query on whether this is being maintained.

I have also done some changes and will also check yours. If all working, will post back.

Thanks again and if you do hear back from the developer, do let us know.

by Ranjit Sankar -
Update. Got installed but still further problems.

1. There is no Browse button showing up for the Attachment tab. Not able to add media files.

2. In the zip that was sent, the ipodcast folder is missing which is needed in the following step.
- Copy the ipodcast folder from moodle/mod/ipodcast/lang/en/ to moodle/lang/en/help/

I think it is pretty obvious that this is no longer being maintained. Would suggest to mark it as such in the documentation as it would save people loads of time.

Follow up question. How do people manage podcasts as part of their course. Can somebody give their experiences other than using this module.

Thanks.

by Stephen Bourget -
>> 1. There is no Browse button showing up for the Attachment tab. Not able to add media files.

Can you give me a little more information about your setup?
Moodle version, PHP version? DB Version? and OS?

Also, If you turn on debugging are there any errors that appear on that page?

>> 2. In the zip that was sent, the ipodcast folder is missing which is needed in the following step. copy the ipodcast folder from moodle/mod/ipodcast/lang/en/ to moodle/lang/en/help/

You can ignore that step with the zip file I had posted. I had set it up so Moodle would find them automatically using the regular install method.

As for the Maintenance of the module, I think you are right. The module has not been updated or maintained since the early days of Moodle 1.7. So putting a note in the docs would not be a bad idea.

I am however attempting to update the module to work with Moodle 2.0

-Steve

by Ranjit Sankar -
Moodle version 1.9.6, PHP ver 5.2, DB ver - MySQL 5.3, OS is Fedora Unix. Basically a LAMP stack.

No errors appear. It just looks like the Browse button is not there anymore. Could it be marked "hidden" due to some permissions problems. Do we need to set upload perms or something.

I will be stopping this effort for sometime as we need to complete some work. Will try and check if possible after that.

by Stephen Bourget -
I was looking through the code and it doesn't appear to use the same upload manager that the rest of Moodle uses. You should have a "Change" button which is in effect the same as the "Browse" button.

The only permissions that the module uses are:
  • mod/ipodcast:edit
  • mod/ipodcast:owner
  • mod/ipodcast:participate
You may want to make sure that your "Teacher" role has these permissions.

-Steve

by Georgi Samaras -
I'd like to know the status of this module as well; I'd hate to see it die when it looks really promising. I'm running Moodle 1.8 on an Apache server and am experiencing the same problems as Juan above:

I was able to get the latest version installed and it appears on our Moodle site under activities, but when I go to add a podcast, I get the message "Updating podcast in [topic name]" and then am redirected to a blank screen.

Using Stephen's updated files (thank you for those) I was able to finally see the "Add a podcast page" but attempting to view the podcast after adding it results in a blank page.

Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution?
In reply to Georgi Samaras

by Stephen Bourget -
If you turn on debugging, do you get any error messages?

I vaguely remember that the html_2_text() function was changed partway through the Moodle 1.9.X and 1.8.X releases and it broke the iPodcast module similar to what you describe. The files I posted above for Moodle 1.8 don't address that issue since when they changed it I was running Moodle 1.9.X

As for the future of the module I can tell you that I'm about 95% done updating / rewriting it to work with Moodle 2.0. I'll post the updated files once Moodle 2.0 beta comes out in later this year.

-Steve

by Georgi Samaras -
Thanks for your reply, Steve! I get this error message with debugging on:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function build_navigation() in \mod\ipodcast\view.php on line 75

The line in question:

$navigation = build_navigation('', $cm);

An empty pair of single quotes. This is using the view.php that was in the latest .zip, the 1.9.X version.

I am actually waiting for classes to die down to try a fresh module install with the 1.8 fixes you posted earlier, as I had missed those and would like to see if I can get the 1.8 version running smoothly since you said it was possible. I will be sure to keep debugging on and note any error messages this time around.

by Stephen Bourget -
Build navigation is a Moodle 1.9 only function, which explains the error under Moodle 1.8.X

Try this fix:

in view.php

Replace the lines: (Around line 75)

$navigation = build_navigation('', $cm);
print_header_simple(format_string($ipodcast->name), "", $navigation, "", "", true,
"", navmenu($course, $cm));

with:

print_header_simple(format_string($ipodcast->name), "","<a href=\"index.php?id=$course->id\">$stripodcast</a> ->" . format_string($ipodcast->name), "", "", true, navmenu($course, $cm));

You will have a similar problem in setupcourse.php

Replace the lines: (Around line 110)

$navigation = build_navigation($navlinks);
print_header_simple("$stripodcasts", "", $navigation, "", "", true, "", navmenu($course));
with:

print_header_simple("$course->shortname: " . stripslashes_safe($ipodcast_course->name), "","$stripodcast", "", "", true, "", navmenu($course));

Please, let me know if this works

-Steve

by Georgi Samaras -
Quick update here:

I tried a fresh install of the module and sure enough, the fatal error was with html2text(). (This was the error in my first post, the "Updating podcast in [topic name] and then blank screen" issue.)

Fatal error: Call to undefined function html2text() in \mod\ipodcast\setupcourse.php on line 72

The line in question:

$ipodcast_course->subtitle = html2text($course->summary);

I am now going to try installing the module using your updated 1.9 files and the fix you outlined above. I just wanted to document this error for anyone having this problem in Moodle 1.8.

by Georgi Samaras -
Using the patched files from here: http://goffstown.k12.nh.us:8100/~sbourget/ipodcast_19X.zip and the fixes outlined in the posts above, the module seems to be working! At least, I can see a lot more than I used to!

The IT member who requested this module for our Moodle site is swamped, but I will notify him that it has been installed and appears functional. Hopefully we will get some free time to test it and see just how functional it is!

Thanks again for your help and work with this module, Steve! It is much appreciated!

by James Walker -
Thanks for the update and link. The install seems to work ok. I have a question about ipodcaster and Nanogong. I have Nanogong installed and use its icon to record the ipodcast from the Activity menu. It works, but is recorded as a wav. Since podcast are mp3 files I am not sure how to get the two mods to work separately in the same Moodle install.

by Trevor Cunningham -
Georgi,

Your update seems to have worked the best with my efforts toward getting iPodast to work. However, like several other users above, I'm now plagued with the "Could not add a new instance" error whenever I initiate the activity. Any thoughts as to where I should be focusing my attention?
In reply to Trevor Cunningham

by Georgi Samaras -
Trevor:

Unfortunately, I am not a PHP wiz, but I can try to help. Have you turned on debugging and, if so, what error messages have you gotten?

by Trevor Cunningham -
After tinkering on and on between iPodcast and the Podcast module, I finally got iPodcast to almost work. I can adjust the settings, create an activity/add new instance, etc...however, students can only view one file unless I change the attachment. In other words, there's no listing of media and I can't find an RSS button anywhere so I can't even begin to understand how it will work with iTunes (and RSS is enabled in the settings). So far, it just works as an over-glorified way to post a media file. It simply won't create a list of updates to the cast.