Igbo Language and Special Fonts / Diacritics

Igbo Language and Special Fonts / Diacritics

by Anja Choon -
Number of replies: 7

, Anya

PS: A translation of Moodle into Igbo would be a nice idea. I guess, if we want anything like this, we have to distribute it ourselves ... let's see first how we'll be getting along with the teaching and moodle in general ! Breites Grinsen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anja Choon

Re: Igbo Language and Special Fonts / Diacritics

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Anya, where do they speek Igbo? I've never heard of that language before verlegen

I can't help you with the fonts, unfortunately. On my school they teach ancient Greed, and the teachers use a similar sollution.

In reply to koen roggemans

by Anja Choon -

Koen, good morning!

They speak Igbo in South West Nigeria. It's a very beautfull language with some millions of speakers (ranging from a few to thirty millions depending from what reference you are taking the number winken).

"INTRODUCTION
Igbo is one of the three major languages of Nigeria, the others being Yoruba and Hausa. Native speakers of Igbo, estimated to be between 25 and 30 million people, reside predominantly in five Eastern states of Nigeria, namely Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo. These states are collectively referred to as Alaigbo (Igboland). Native speakers of Igbo are also minorities in two other Eastern States, namely Delta and Rivers. The language is also spoken as a second language in the Niger Delta and Cross River Basin.

Igbo belongs to the Niger-Congo language family. Greenberg (1963) classified it in the Kwa group along with six other big clusters: Akan, Gbe, Yoruba-Igala, Nupe-Ebira, Edo and Idoma. Williamson has since redrawn this picture, reducing the Kwa sub-group to Akan and Gbe. The rest she reclassified as an enlarged Benue-Congo group. [...]"

by Ejike Eze at http://www.kwenu.com/uwandiigbo/framed.htm

Could you give me the url of the Greek teachers' website so that I could have a look at his page and see if his solution differes a bit from mine?

Greetings, Anya

Edit: I think I found it! http://www.ritacollege.be Was in your profile ...Breites Grinsen

In reply to Anja Choon

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Thank you for the info on your language, Anja. Hm West-African languages, must be a lot of them. You made my world a little bit wider again, thanks for that.

Our Greek teachers are not yet publiching on www.ritacollege.be/elo . They advise their students to download a Dutch program called "Teach 2000" that can be used to study vocabulary. That program installs the ancient Greek font. It creates a special keyboardlayout, so the "difficult" characters are easely available from the keyboard. I think you need something like that. It is possible that someone created this already. For the Ancient Greek there are as far as I know 3 different fonts created, so you need to have the right font installed as the one the tekst has been created with or it is shown blurred.

In reply to Anja Choon

by Thomas Robb -
It seems that there is no special Internet browser set for Igbo or other West African languages. There is, however, "Unicode" which should have everything you need. There may also, hopefully, be a way to save MS Word documents in Unicode and to create HTML documents with it.

You could try this experiment, though:

1. Take the folder in "moodle/lang/en" duplicate it. Call the duplicate "ig".
2. Now edit the moodle/lang/ig/moodle.php file and change these items:

$string['thischarset'] = "UTF-8";
$string['thisdirection'] = "ltr"; <-- Igbo is written left-to-right so this is OK
$string['thislanguage'] = "Igbo",

4. Now, when you start Moodle, you should find "Igbo" among the language choices.
5. Now using an editor that can save as UTF-8 modify some of the common phrases in moodle/lang/igbo/moodle.php changing them to the Igbo equivalents, for example, $string['mainmenu'] = 'Main menu';
6. Now view a moodle page that contains that phrase and see what happens.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Ger Tielemans -

Word 2003 supports Igbo, language code LCID=1136

It can also export to XML, does that help? (unicode is the worldwide characterset of xml..)

In reply to Thomas Robb

by Anja Choon -

Hi Thomas, I believe that is what Andrew was suggesting at http://www.quicktopic.com/17/H/tCcDxVXHgQxN/p-1.-1,  postings 103 -108.

I copy and paste his attempt to use the special characters of Igbo: á»á» á¹á¹ á»á» Ụụ

I don't know what it looks like to you (here or at quicktopics) but for my computer it's not doing the job. That probably means, I don't have Arial Unicode. How could I and the other students get it? Thanks.

And: Are you sure Uni-Code really has all the characters needed. Which ones we would need, you can see in the following posting: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=6167

Greetings, Anya

In reply to Anja Choon

by koen roggemans -
On both places it looks strange (not what I have seen on your website), I have the arial narow unicode installed