Default Language Option Issue

Default Language Option Issue

by Adolfo Franco -
Number of replies: 5

Hi. I just updated a moodle site from 1.6.1 to 1.7 stable. The problem is that languages won't show on the default language menu on the langsettings page, I just have an emty drop menu.

Actually the problem was already there when the site was 1.6.1. It was not me who install it the first time, and it seems they did not install the language pack correctly.

The automatic language pack installation did not solve the problem. I even did the manual installation (unzip pack in moodledata/lang) with no success in having the default language menu working.

If try so save lang settings this message comes out:

"Some settings were not changed due to an error:
Error setting Default language"

I am afraid that just the automatic download of the package in a fresh installation would solve, but I hope somebody helps me out.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adolfo Franco

Re: Default Language Option Issue

by Thomas Robb -
Do you have direct access to the database itself? If you do, look in the mdl_config table and you will see at around id=39, "lang" with a specification of the current default language. Perhaps this has become corrupted. You can type in the original default "en_utf8" (without that quotes) if that is what is not there now. id=29 "langlist" defines what languages are available on the site. If, for example, that contains one language only, and that language is not currently installed, that might cause a blank pulldown menu. The default is for this item to be completely blank.

I hope this helps!

Re: Default Language Option Issue

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi Adolfo

We encountered similar problem today.
I didn't think it was a database error - no corruption evident.
We installed with English and Moari (we are in New Zealand)

The default language dropdown was empty - like yours.

I read a post elsewhere about the Mexican and Spanish packs...

...so, I installed US English as well...

and then English (en) appeared (as did they all)

Something similar might be worth a try?

In reply to Stuart Mealor

Re: Default Language Option Issue (tried and it works!)

by tsukareta desu -

hey there, i've got the same problem here... it's database problem... i've added pt_br on the langlist and it's ok now!

In reply to tsukareta desu

by Adolfo Franco -
Hi you all. Thanks for replying but those solutions seems to work under some "misterious" circuntances. sad I say that because I have installed/checked out some Moodle installations for people and I have faced this bug quite often.

As a matter of fact, the language installation wizard is definately BUGGY! The safest way of avoid the issue is in a fresh installation NOT TO select your language, leaving the installation to go on in the default english language. After you have all the database installed and you login for the first time now you may install your country's language. At least I have tested a couple of times with bad result.

by Adolfo Franco -
Well everything gets normal when you activate UTF migration... smile