Databases: Import data

Databases: Import data

by Aaldrik Steenhuis -
Number of replies: 4

Hallo,

How can I import a group of students from Microsoft Access into Moodle so that they have an account.

They have no e-mail address !

Can someone help me !

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aaldrik Steenhuis

Re: Databases: Import data

by Jan Dierckx -
I'm sure Microsoft Access allows you to export a table as a textfile with comma-separated-values (.csv or .txt)
In moodle 1.2 there is a tool you can use to mass import users. It is discussed here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2367

Don't know what happens if you don't supply an email address.
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Aaldrik Steenhuis -

Thank you for reacting .

Yes they have no e-mail adres , that  maybe a problem .

I have looked at forum/discuss... but didn,t find anything about it

I can make a non existing e-mail

eg: Name: Jan Pieters

e-mail: jan@pieters.kk

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Steven Priefer -
How do I take students in a current moodle server and transfer them to a differen't moodle server.  I installed moodle on my home machine and had my students sign up on it.  Now installed on my hosting machine and I want to take the users from my home machine and put it on my hosting machine.
In reply to Steven Priefer

by Tom Murdock -
First, you want to make sure that both of the servers use the same version of Moodle. I would recommend updating (if you haven't already) the home machine server to 1.2. If your hosting machine is also 1.2, this process is a breeze.

Go into your course (in the home machine), choose "course backup" from the admin menu on the left, backup the course (including users). Moodle will zip all of the information into a zip file. Go to "Files" in the course admin menu, click on the backup you just made and download it to your computer.

Go to your new installation, upload the zip file from your computer to the hosting machine (by using the Site Files link in the new installation). When the upload is complete, you'll notice that next to it (in the uploaded files menu), you'll see an action to "restore" the course. Click on the restore link and follow the directions to either restore the backup to a new course or an existing course on the new installation. Voila. You should have a complete copy.

This feature was added by super Eloy, one of the Moodle developers.

Enjoy.
-Tom