1.7 quiz restore with attempts fails

1.7 quiz restore with attempts fails

by Peter Möbius -
Number of replies: 0
Dear All,

I'm currently experiencing a strange problem: I created course in a fresh 1.7 install containing only one quiz (small, backup is 700kb), had 40 students take it and backed up the whole course after the event. I then tried to restore the course to an identical install on my laptop in order to do the manual marking offline. (I prefer to work on a copy of the actual data ever since a bug in the regrade function in 1.6 deleted some of the original inputs.)

The restore process (nothing but the quiz, users and user data for the quiz included) stalled when creating modules, and the new course only showed the icon of the quiz. A click in the icon returned a "a required instance of the module missing" error. The same happened when I tried to restore a copy to the production system that the original course lives on.

I am not sure why this is happening but suspect that one reason could be that five or so students didn't exit the quiz cleanly ("open attempts"). However, I don't feel confident to log in as them and close the attempts on the original install (not sure about the behaviour of the module in this case). So, my first priority is to create a copy of the original course before I start experimenting.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions, pointers or hints that help me solve the problem.

Thanks,

Peter

P.S.: Apologies if you feel that this should have been posted in "backup and restore."
Average of ratings: -