iPodcast v.37b

iPodcast v.37b

by Thomas Dolsky -
Number of replies: 12

Well since the bulk of the current questions and emails are about moodle 1.7 support I am posting what I currently have. 

What I need is some testers.  If a few of you chomping at the bit for 1.7 support can give this version a try and report in this thread your results I would greatly appreciate.  Im not sure I would put this on a production server but I will leave that to you.

Thanks

Tom

http://www.cytekmedia.com/ipodcast/ipodcast-v37b.zip

*****v.37
12/22/06 Tom Dolsky     - Added roles based Teacher list for setupcourse

*****v.36
This version will quite likely mess up your category selections.  Apple made changes to the category lists some time ago and not all map one to one.
The update script makes a small effort in reassigning some of the obvious ones but make sure you double sheck your categories.

10/28/06 Tom Dolsky     - Updated category list to current from apple
11/06/06 Tom Dolsky     - Teacher list for course broke in 1.7 beta added version checking to get by for now
11/06/06 Tom Dolsky     - Added None to nested category to select only top category

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Dolsky

Re: iPodcast v.37b

by Stephen Bourget -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tom,

I've done some testing with Moodle 1.7 amd found a couple of bugs:

1. The following notices are displayed from the course setup page (setupcourse.php) when you choose to save course settings:

These 3 are displayed when you click the save button when looking at the "Edit" tab

Notice: Undefined property: authkey in /WebRoot/moodle/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php on line 189

Notice: Undefined property: rssarticles in /WebRoot/moodle/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php on line 190

Notice: Undefined property: rsssorting in /WebRoot/moodle/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php on line 191

These next 3 notices are displayed when you click the save button when looking at the "Setup" tab

Notice: Undefined property: summary in /WebRoot/moodle/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php on line 208

Notice: Undefined property: name in /WebRoot/moodle/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php on line 209

Notice: Undefined property: comment in /WebRoot/moodle/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php on line 210

The next 2 notices are displayed when you click the save button when looking at the "Itunes Tags" tab

Notice: Undefined property: userid in /WebRoot/moodle/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php on line 237

Notice: Undefined property: nestedcategory in /WebRoot/moodle/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php on line 239

2. For some reason I cannot get the RSS link to appear. Every time I create / update the course settings, the enablerssfeed field in the mdl_ipodcast_courses is set to 0 (false). If I directly modify the DB and change the value to 1 (true) the link appears.

3. When I generate the RSS feed, the XML document has the following notice:

Notice: Undefined property: length in /WebRoot/moodle/mod/ipodcast/rsslib.php on line 698

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /WebRoot/moodle/mod/ipodcast/rsslib.php:698) in /WebRoot/moodle/lib/filelib.php on line 241

For some reason it is not generating the file length. This warning can be cleared by changing line 698 in rsslib.php from:

$length = $item->length;

to

if(isset($item->length)){
$length = $item->length;
} else {
$length = 0;
}

This doesn't fix the problem of calculating the length, it just prevents the notice from messing up the XML file.

4. You are missing the following string from the language file:

$string['ipodcast:create'] = 'Create podcasts';

(This string is needed for the assign roles page)

I Hope this helps,

-Steve

In reply to Stephen Bourget

by Thomas Dolsky -

This helps tremendously Steve.

I think I will post the fixed up version in a new thread so I know problems pertain to the right rev.

1) These notices were on my hit list but now they are gone.

2) Never saw this one.  I think its fixed up now might have to revisit how many flags we really need to turn rss feeds on and off.

3) Nothing wrong with checking the variable so I added your fix.  What media file type were you using?

4) Added thanks.

Thanks tom

by Stephen Bourget -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
>> What media file type were you using?

I was working with a MP3 file

Also I extended the Roles support in the podacst v37b file you had posted above It may help with the error you are showing with v37b2

I used the access.php file that is attached and basically changed all of the isteacher and isstudent function calls:

I had basically changed:

$isstudent = isstudent($courseid,$userid);
$isteacher = isteacher($courseid,$userid);

to:

// Check student and teacher roles:
if ((has_capability('mod/ipodcast:view', get_context_instance(CONTEXT_COURSE, $courseid))) && (!has_capability('mod/ipodcast:create', get_context_instance(CONTEXT_COURSE, $courseid)))){
$isstudent = true;
} else {
$isstudent = false;
}
if (has_capability('mod/ipodcast:create', get_context_instance(CONTEXT_COURSE, $courseid))){
$isteacher = true;
} else {
$isteacher = false;
}

I had also changed your iseditingteacher function calls:

if (! isteacheredit($course->id) )

to:
if ((! has_capability('moodle/course:managefiles', get_context_instance(CONTEXT_COURSE, $course->id))) || (! has_capability('mod/ipodcast:create', get_context_instance(CONTEXT_COURSE, $course->id)))) {

I've attached all of the files that were modified for the roles support. I hope you can find it useful

-Steve
In reply to Stephen Bourget

by john attwood -
I'm working with v.37b3 I think it is the latest version.

My Moodle is hosted with Bluehost. I'm trying to figure out if the Allowoveride line addition still applies.

I'm spent two days with them over this. They want me to add it to my .htaccess file in my Public_html directory. When I do that I get server 500 errors. They don't want to modify the httpd.conf file or at least they guys I'm working with.

What am I left I tried adding it to the one in the /podcast directory and it doesn't help either. I can't get this to work.

I was also directed to do something with the mimetypes. I guess part of the problem is that I don't know what" Make sure to AllowOverride All(or enough to get "AddType" to function) on /mod/ipodcast folder." means. I"m not an experienced programmer I'm just hacking around trying to get this thing to work.

So I guess my question is can you do it from the .htaccess file or is it only for the httpd.conf file ? Where does that leave us who have our moodle's hosted and can't edit the httpd.conf file ? Is there another way to do it or is it now longer necessary ?

I've spent the better part of two days hacking away on this trying to get it to work does that qualify me as a "tester"

Thanks,

John

In reply to john attwood

by James Whitacre -
Hi,

Our Moodle is hosted with Bluehost as well. We're on 1.71 and I installed the v37b iPodcast as well. I get various errors; 1) trying to upload larger files (I've changed the php.ini to allow for larger uploads, but I receive an ip error config after it chugs along for awhile.; 2) if I try to view an uploaded file (I successfully uploaded a 3 MB .mp3), I get the following error when trying to access the url:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Anyway, I'm no real programmer. We have a real need for this module at our school for our second semester which begins in two weeks. I would like to get this operational so that our instructors can begin using it within their courses. Any advice would be helpful. Do we need to find a different host to get this thing working. I'm really unclear about the Darwin Streaming Server and mp4creator and mp4info programs. Don't know much about incorporating this. What if Bluehost doesn't have a DSS installed? Can I install the DSS on my server? How do I install mp4creator and mp4info?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
In reply to James Whitacre

by john attwood -
Jim,

Check this out:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Ipodcast

Go to Apache Note for ISP users. section.

I wrote this section. If you can make any improvements please don' t hesitate. This worked for me after I spent hours talking to bluehosts. I had similar issue. I still can't get the RSS icon to show up but that's another issue.

John
In reply to john attwood

by James Whitacre -
Thanks John!

That changed everything. I had a smaller mp3 file (3MB's) that I was able to finally successfully upload. Didn't notice your document before. Now, it seems the only thing I'm still having an issue with is when I try to download mp3's that are larger than 8MB (restricted by Moodle). I did change the settings in the php.ini file for file posting and uploading to:
upload_max_filesize = 64M
post_max_size = 64M
But...I'm still getting an error message:
"
A required parameter (id) was missing"

Can't do much until I get this one fixed now. All of our files are about 10-30 MB's. Hope someone has some other ideas. This is a great module and extremely valuable for educational purposes. Great work Tom!

Jim

by Thomas Dolsky -

Are you using v.37b or v.37b3 ?

You might try updating it if you are running v.37b

If that doesn't get you anywhere if you can get me a temporary login I can hunt down the problem and get things running for you.

Tom

by James Whitacre -
Tom,

v.37b3...sorry if I didn't make it clear. Everything seems to be working just fine now except I can't upload larger than 8MB files. I've changed the php.ini where appropriate, but this seems to be having no effect.

Do I need to have the host restart the apache server?

Also, I'm really new to this ipod stuff and trying to figure out for our school's request. I don't really understand how I'm supposed to install mp4creator or mp4info? Are these supposed to be installed on the server and the path is to them on the server?

Let's try to get the file size thing fixed before I give you a temp login. Maybe that will resolve the issue. I don't seem to be having an issue with smaller files at this point. Our Moodle is in a protected subdomain that requires a username/password for access there as well. Thanks for your offer...I might have to take you up on it.

Jim

by James Whitacre -
John,

I just got off the phone with Bluehost. They have me messing around with the PHP.ini and placing it in lots of different directories.

Can you let me know how you resolved the file upload size at Bluehost? Maybe share your php.ini and where you ended up placing it within the Moodle for the iPodcast uploads to be larger than 8MB? Also, MOODLE keeps giving me the 8MB limit despite how I change things in the configuration.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim

by James Whitacre -
The 8MB limit is real despite making several changes in the php.ini and the .htaccess files. It not only shows the limit, but it is the limit. Is this a Moodle hard code? Very strange. If I get over the 8MB limit, that's when I receive the ip id missing error.

Jim

by James Whitacre -
Ah...Ha! Playing around with the php.ini and the .htaccess files and placing them in certain directories (I haven't done any elimination yet, but when I do I'll post).

I really like this mod! Can't say enough!

Jim