Chat and Groups

Chat and Groups

by Peter Sereinigg -
Number of replies: 11

Having a lot of participants in my courses a user the groupe-function in other moduls.

Groupefunction does not work in chat, something I have configured wrong?

Thanks

Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Sereinigg

Re: Chat and Groups

by Simone Alciati -

Hi Peter and hi all,

I've the same problem as you: I need to divide 30 users in 5 groups and I need that every user is enable to chat only with the users in his group.

I need help...

Thanks.

Simone

In reply to Peter Sereinigg

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I really need to use the group function in chat as well.  I have classes of thirty and I want to divide them into groups of five.  I find that four or five is the optimum number to get the most conversation going (I teach English as a foreign language).  If I do a single chat room, 90% of the students are just watching, not actively participating.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Groups in chat should be working fine ... have you tried it?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Simone Alciati -
Hi Martin,
I tried it yesterday. Result: students of different groups chatted on the same session chat and everyone could chat with all the others. But users don't registered in a groups could not enter in the chat (this was correct I think).

My settings are:
Group mode=Separate groups
Force=No (I tried with Force=Yes too but I obtained same result sad )
Chat resourse was setting as Separate groups.

Have you some idea?

Thanks.

Simone
In reply to Simone Alciati

by Simone Alciati -
Dear all,
Bobo (another moodle user) is working about chat module to solve the problems.

smile approve smile

Simone
In reply to Simone Alciati

by Roberto Pinna -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi, I checked your problem and I think I find a solution. In cvs://moodle/mod/chat/gui_header_js/index.php at line 30 you must replace: if ($currentgroup = get_and_set_current_group($course->id, $groupmode, $groupid)) { with: if ($currentgroup = get_and_set_current_group($course, $groupmode, $groupid)) { This patch solve the problem that everyone enter only in the "all participants" chat. With some others modifies you can get the right lists of connected users to every groups chat. The modified files are: cvs://moodle/mod/chat/view.php and cvs://moodle/mod/chat/users.php I've attached a zip file with all these patches. Please tell me all works right, I test it but may be something escape to me. Bobo.
In reply to Roberto Pinna

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, Bobo!

You're spot on with the first fix - that was a stupid typo of mine.

The second fix is actually another couple of typos, the changes need not be so big as you've attached here - I've checked it into CVS so please check it for me.

by Roberto Pinna -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
That's ok.
I got the last version and I seen your patches. Always more clean!!! wink

Cheers,
Bobo.

by Simone Alciati -
Hi Martin,
I think to have found another bag in chat module used with groups (chat resource setting as Visible groups): a user that enter in a chat of a different group (respect his group) cannot write a character: he is visible to the other users but he is always idle.
I think that if a user can enter in a chat, either he can write messages or he must be able to understand that he is passive (reading that he partecipate to chat session as passive user) and the other users must be able to understand what is the state of the new user.

Both with chat resource setting as Visible groups and as Separate groups, a teacher (Edit=yes) can only write message in "all participant" session. I think that a teacher (both with Edit=YES and with EDIT=No) must be able to participate to all session chat of all different groups.

Have you ideas to fix those bags? Thanks.

Simone