Reading Skills

Picture of Thomas Robb
New quiz question type: Ordering
Group Developers
Hi everyone,

One useful type of question for reading comprehension involves seeing if the students can place important events in the story in the correct order. Currently, this type of question can only be implemented clumsily with the "matching" question type -- "clumsy" because more effort is required than actually necessary to create the question, as well as "clumsy" because the ordering choices in the pulldown menu are randomized instead of the nice "1,2,3,4" that an ordering item requires.

I've now created a quiz item type called "Ordering" to fill this gap. The actual code can be found in my posting on the main board in the "Quiz Module" section: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=60923 Implementing it on your own 1.7 moodle just involves dropping the files in the correct place.

Input using the GIFT format is simple. To give a brief example:

::Life::Put the following events in their correct order {>birth, schooling, employment, retirement}

Please vote for this enhancement if you think it would be useful to you! MDL-7933
Picture of Thomas Robb
New quiz question type: Ordering --completed!
Group Developers
Happy New Year, everyone!

This is just a brief report to tell you that I have finished programming the "Ordering" question type. It allows you to input a series of events, say the key actions in a book plot and then have the students place them in the correct order. It allows you to input a longish list of items, and then to stipulate that any one quiz show a random set of n items -- whatever number you choose.

It only works in version 1.7, but if you are using this version and are interested, I would love to have some more people test it out. Please see this discussion in the main Moodle course Quiz discussion area for a more complete explanation and a link to the code to download. It installs very easily.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=61728

Cheers,
Tom

Art Lader
Re: New quiz question type: Ordering --completed!

Sounds great, Tom. I have voted for it at the tracker.

-- Art
Picture of AjnabiZ ...

Excellent feature.

Tom i would like to ask one question though.

I would like to use it to teach Arabic language.

Would it work ?

Also, will you be releasing a version for 1.8
Picture of Thomas Robb
Group Developers
Will it work with Arabic? Frankly, I don't know!! I haven't done anything special that would prevent it, but the screen layout would be Western, with the question on the left and the answer choices on the right. Would that be problematic?

Concerning a version for 1.8, yes, I do plan to make one, but it will probably be 1-2 months before it is available. The school year just started here in Japan this week.

--Tom
Picture of Don Hinkelman
Re: New quiz question type: Ordering
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Tom,

How is the new "Ordering" question type going these day? I have got some strip stories that I am thinking to use next April in Moodle 1.9. Do you think it will work?

Also I notice in the Issue Tracker for "Ordering", Tim Hunt has made this plugin request "Resolved" and says the Drag-and-Drop is ready. Is it resolved? And is the drag and drop he refers to really the same as "Ordering"?

Cheers,
Don
Picture of Thomas Robb
Re: New quiz question type: Ordering
Group Developers
Hi Don and all,

My "Ordering" q-type is working fine on 1.9 and I should see if I can work up public release.

The one referred to by Tim Hunt is probably the other "Ordering" type that was developed for paragraph rearrangement after I had already started on this. I haven't tried it and don't know if it will work as well as mine for sentence-length stuff.

If anyone wants to try mine, let me know and I'll give you access to my site.

Cheers,
Tom