Better than Wordpress MU

Better than Wordpress MU

by M Y -
Number of replies: 14
Hi there,

One of my latest projects is a blogging website. I have started using Wordpress MU.

I was wondering if there is anything out there that is better?

Thanks for any advise.

--Martin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to M Y

Re: Better than Wordpress MU

by Kenneth Newquist -
Are there specific things about Wordpress MU that you're trying to improve upon? I'm looking at Wordpress myself (via the EduBlogs.org) and so far I'm liking it -- it seems pretty robust, especially with regards to templates and widgets.

Another option, though not free, would be Six Apart's MoveableType, which now supports LDAP (which is one of the key features for any blog system we use).

http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/pricing

Our present blogging setup uses Drupal, but it offers only very limited customization of user blogs.

In reply to Kenneth Newquist

by M Y -
Hi Kenneth,

There are a few things that I find anoying.

• I cant remove the RSS feeds on the wordpress backend.
  • Some users think the interface is confusing
Just little things along those lines.

I would rather keep with the free software and there is no income from these sites.

Does any one know how to remove the news and developer announcements from the dashboard?

Thanks,
In reply to M Y

by Juliette Culver -
Elgg is another option - though whether it's better than WordPress MU, depends on what you want to do. I think the WordPress user interface is a bit simpler in fact.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to remove the RSS feeds?
In reply to Juliette Culver

by M Y -
Some people have asked me why they are there, and say that it makes the backend look more confusing. smile
In reply to M Y

by Juliette Culver -
Is that developer's you've got who are complaining, or students complaining about the admin user interface for their blogs? Just had a look at the admin user interface for my WP MU blog and there is a lot of stuff there, though not much I can see about RSS. I'd never noticed it all before!

The point of RSS is to make it easier for people to read a blog. I don't read blogs if they don't have RSS because it's just too annoying having to go to the web page to look for updates! I'd be really really loathe to get rid of it.
In reply to Juliette Culver

by M Y -
Its the users who dont like it. By RSS feed I mean the RSS feed from Wordpress.com, in the backend admin panel. Its this they dont like and cant see why it is there. I think it just makes the panel more confusing than it really is.

They have no idea what PHP, MySQL, WPMU, WP, who Ryan Boren is....
Its just not needed.

WordPress Development Blog Feed
WordPress 2.0.5 - Ronan — 54 days ago

It’s new release time. The latest in our venerable 2.0 series, which now counts over 1.2 million downloads, is available for download immediately, and we suggest everyone upgrade as this includes security fixes. We’re breaking the tradition of naming releases after jazz musicians to congratulate Ryan Boren on his new son (and first WP baby) [...]
MU 1.0 and bbPress — 59 days ago

The WordPress family has been really starting to grow lately. I wanted to let you guys know about two big releases: WordPress Multi-user 1.0 and bbPress 0.72. WordPress MU is an official branch of WordPress that is designed for managing and hosting thousands of blogs instead of just one. It’s the software that powers WordPress.com, for [...]
WordPress 2.0.4 — 145 days ago

WordPress 2.0.4, the latest stable release in our Duke series, is available for immediate download. This release contains several important security fixes, so it’s highly recommended for all users. We’ve also rolled in a number of bug fixes (over 50!), so it’s a pretty solid release across the board. Upgrading is fairly simple, just overwrite your [...]
Other WordPress News

* Does Share This Need an Icon? - Alex King
* Jason’s Custom CSS for WordPress MU - Donncha
* WP-Plugin: Geesee Chat - Weblog Tools Collection
* WP Theme: Icklebug - Weblog Tools Collection
* Thoughtless Embrace of Accountability - Matt
* Matt Mullenweg Gets New Clothes - Lorelle on WP
* Prototype Size Concerns - Alex King
* WLTC Blogging Essay Competition - Weblog Tools Collection
* Share This 1.0 - Alex King
* WP Theme: Gridlock 1.4 - Weblog Tools Collection
* WP Plugin: Digg Dugg - Weblog Tools Collection
* Blank Response Bug - Akismet
* New Blog Design - Matt
* In Seville, Spain - Matt
* Joe Clark Micropatronage - Matt
* SpringWidgets Plugin - Weblog Tools Collection
* pixer.us: online photo editor - Weblog Tools Collection
* Atom Is Making Me Angry - Owen Winkler
* WP Theme: OXY - Weblog Tools Collection
* MySQL Camp Google Notes - Matt

Read more »

In reply to M Y

by Ted O'Neill -
You can clear all those news announcements off the Dashboard page by editing wordpress >> wp-admin >> index.php

I haven't updated to the most recent WP, but if you look for http://wordpress.org/development/feed/ in that file, you will find the news section to remove.

It was irrelevant to my users, so I just cut it out.
In reply to M Y

by Randy Orwin -
Take a look at b2evolution. I don't know how well it scales but you can do lots of blogs. ldap integration (I seem to remember) with the latest version. Lots of nice features like private posts for members of a blog. Lots of different skins as well, many of them built off some of the Wordpress skins. Check it out at
http://b2evolution.net/

Good Luckbig grin
In reply to Randy Orwin

by M Y -

Thanks Randy, I'll look into that one.

In reply to M Y

by Shayne Train -

I was on until 2 a.m. exploring this... I was leaning towards Blogmeister (http://classblogmeister.com/) , which is part of the Landmark Project (citation machine, etc.) and is a nominee for an edublog award.

I also found Moodle last night.. I'm still trying to figure this out as well. This is my first post. Why do we have to "join" classes in order to post?

-- Shayne

In reply to Shayne Train

by Frances Bell -
Moodle is a course management system - with added blogs. If you are looking for mainly blogs, I don't think Moodle would be a first choice, for the reason you identified.
In reply to Frances Bell

by Shayne Train -

I like the whole integrated course management system concept. I teach high school computers and visual arts and am more or less the "tech" person for our tiny school. I see the way that my students gravitate towards on-line communication and want to take advantage of it (although I'm not so crazy about how they are using Facebook).

For example, I have a difficult time getting my arts students to talk about their work, or give opinions on the work of others. They might prefer to blog about their process, and use a forum to discuss works of art.

I'm just starting to think about all this, but I'm getting ideas just looking at what is offered by Moodle. I don't see a blog, however, which is why I suppose this discussion about blogs is taking place.

In reply to Shayne Train

by A. T. Wyatt -
If you have version 1.6 or later, the blog is part of Moodle. However, you may not have enabled it in the administrator settings.

Did you check on that?

Comments on blogs should be coming in a future release--1.8.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Shayne Train -

That's great! Thanks for the information... I didn't realize that blogs were integrated. I haven't downloaded the package yet. I'm on vacation in a couple of days (my school has a strange schedule) so that I can play with it. I see that my students are making use of the wiki that I set up (some even related to school work smile) so I want to give them all the tools! I appreciate your help.

Shayne