Birthday present from UNESCO

Birthday present from UNESCO

by Paul Nijbakker -
Number of replies: 10
Hi all,

My school has been awarded a prize by UNESCO for its eDegree programme in Lapland (and Finland at large). I wrote the application in only two days, so I am pleasantly surprised. And the newsss came to uss on our birthday, didn't it, precioussss smile

Guess which VLE we use in this eDegree programme...

Satisfied regards,
Paul.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

Re: Birthday present from UNESCO

by Frances Bell -
Great news Paul. Your programme looks very interesting.
Perhaps there should be an easy to find set of Case studies on Moodle. There is a forum called Moodle Stories but it's not very easy to browse. I know we have the list of Moodle sites but most are closed. Maybe a database or knowledge base of descriptive cases with a rnadom link on the front page (and search capabilities). What do others think? Would this be useful to people contemplating the use of Moodle (and its integration with other tools)?
Of course now someone will point out that there is such a thing but I don't know where it iswink

by Art Lader -
Wooooohoooo!

Great job, Paul. smile

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Paul Nijbakker -
Thanks! On Wednesday we'll have a press conference. I will try and give Moodle due credit, if I get the chance (you never know with journalists).

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Paul Nijbakker -

Here is the short press release:

UNESCO King Hamad Bin Isa Al-Khalifa Prize awarded to Kemi-Tornio University of Applied Sciences

The eDegree Programme in Lapland – an online Bachelor of Business and Administration (BBA) education programme (Kemi-Tornio University of Applied Sciences, Finland) and the Cyber Home Learning System (Republic of Korea) are the first laureates of the UNESCO King Hamad Bin Isa Al-Khalifa - competition. The prize amounts to 50 000 USD and is shared by both winners. An honourable mention was achieved by the Civil Law-Teaching Website for Arab Law Students-project (Kuwait). The competition rewards education projects which apply knowledge and communication technology in learning and teaching. The team that completed the application for the UNESCO competition on behalf of Kemi-Tornio University of Applied Sciences was made up of Seija Jäminki, Marko Mehtälä and Paul Nijbakker.

The eDegree Programme in Lapland offers a full BBA education programme to students in remote and rural areas who have few study opportunities due to their location or work situation. The online degree programme was organised as adult education for students who actively participate in working life, but it presently also caters to the unemployed. A typical eDegree student studies remotely from home or from the place of work using the synchronous and a-synchronous online learning environments (LearnLinc and Moodle) of Kemi-Tornio University of Applied Sciences. The focus region for the education programme was originally the Lapland region, but as the popularity of the eDegree programme quickly spread, students are presently from all over Finland and even from abroad. Student commitment to the eDegree programme has been exceptionally high and drop out rates have consequently been extremely low.