Presentation Area?

Presentation Area?

by Shawn Marsh -
Number of replies: 6

I am wondering if there are any plans for the development of an area in Moodle where teachers can provide webspace (folders) for their students to upload html or other files into. I am currenly having my students upload entire sites in zip format. However, it would be nice allow viewing from within Moodle.

Shawn Marsh

marshs@staff.ednet.ns.ca

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shawn Marsh

Re: Presentation Area?

by Buford C. Terrell -
I agree.  My students are required to do do a presentation and a research paper as web pages.
In reply to Buford C. Terrell

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Good idea.

I've filed a feature request in the tracker: http://bugs.moodle.com/bug.php?op=show&bugid=250

Additional ideas for the interface can go in there (eg should it be a new "presentation" module or a new assignment type? Should it allow grading?)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Buford C. Terrell -

The interface should be one that will allow all of the students to view any presentation, and possibly a way to post comments about them.

The student should have some way in which to upload HTML pages created elsewhere and also have at least a limited ability to edit them to solve the small bugs that always appear, and the teacher should also have this editing ability.

It should be graded.

Templates for simple pages would be nice.

by Shawn Marsh -
I agree, the university I am doing my Masters degree at now uses WebCT; it has the same feature you are describing. However, it isn't open sourcesad

Shawn
marshs@staff.ednet.ns.ca

by Ray Kingdon -

This idea is similar but certainly not the same as the Peer Graded Assignment module (see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=679) I am thinking of rehashing that module and developing a "Student Graded Assignment" module where the teacher sets up a set of files (probably from previous cohorts) and the students grade them. The teacher then grades the students' grading preformance. That's probably further from what you have in mind!

I think The Peer Graded Assignment module has all the elements you require it may be just a matter of re-packaging them. It's very definitely phased in that there's a set-up phase, a submission phase, a (peer) graded phase and then a teacher grading phase. There's TWO deadlines as opposed to the normal one. I suspect that what you are looking for is a continuous creative curve wink

There are a number of questions which spring to mind. Do all the students grade all the submissions? Is there a growing pool of submissions? When a student comes along do they get allocated a random sample to grade? Is there a fixed deadline or is it a moveable feast? Is this really an assignment? Is a student expected to add to the pool of submissions?

I suspect the answers to all these questions are both Yes and No! What would be really useful is a scenerio of what might happen in practise over time in one of these Presentation areas, that could be coded. Like what is the starting point, what's happening in the middle and when does it end, and if it doesn't end how is the pool of submissions managed.