Will lesson module recognize maps?

Will lesson module recognize maps?

by Sam Wynens -
Number of replies: 5
I had a problem with formatted HTML pages showing correctly in the lesson, so I just converted everything to simple JPG/GIF and put in the reference to the images in the lessons...

My question is:

Can I specify a map area over those images inside Moodle?

Sam
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Wynens

Re: Will lesson module recognize maps?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Sam > I had a problem with formatted HTML pages showing correctly in the lesson,

Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean. What kind of problem did you have? Where were those "formatted HTML" pages of yours located/inserted ?

Joseph

In reply to Sam Wynens

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Sam,
I think you mean you only want to show a portion of a larger image.

For example there is a 1000 x 1000 px image. On one page you want to show a rectangle defined by 0,0 and 250,250. On another page 0,750 and 250,1000. Could be a large map of a country, the first page shows details of the Northwest, the second page shows the Northeast (I think). Only one image is stored as a file but different parts are used.

Is that correct?
In reply to Chris Collman

by Richard Enison -

CC & JR,

While the 3 of us wait for a definitive response from SW, permit me to say that, while I'm new to Moodle, & I don't know him so I can't be sure exactly what he means, I do know a thing or two about HTML, and I think I know what he probably means. There is a feature of web pages that is frequently imposed upon the html code although I think it can be implemented in html as well, that allows one to display an image (not just part of it) in a web page and impose a map, that is, a partitioning of it, such that the viewer can move his/her mouse over the image and click, and depending on which part of the image is clicked, a different link is activated. I suspect that's what he's talking about. Just some food for thought while we wait for his response.

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by Sam Wynens -
Sorry about the delayed response. I've been busy.

As for the formatting of the pages...

I couldn't get text to wrap around a picture, other than creating tables. I don't really want to make a ton of tables for 1000+ lesson pages. So I took the easy way out and converted all of the information I needed to display into simple gif format.

Some of these images contain hyperlinks. Will the code inside Moodle process map areas to allow for a clickable region?

Look here to see what I'm talking about if unclear.

http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/imagemap.shtml

Sam
In reply to Sam Wynens

by Bob Robertson -
In the interest of progress, I'd expect the answer to be "Yes". If the HTML editor in raw text mode will allow me to insert javascript function definitions into my lesson pages, then I'd certainly expect something as relatively benign as an image map to be accepted. I don't think that there's any filtering applied to HTML supplied for the lessons or the feedback text, if that's what your worried about.