Blocks dissapearing!

Blocks dissapearing!

by Simon Clegg -
Number of replies: 10

Hi there,

I have a number of HTML blocks on my moodle courses. I am finding that there seems to be a limit on the number that can be displayed at any one time.

Also, as I move them up and down some of them disappear and reappear! Has anybody else experienced this weirdness?

Simon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Clegg

Re: Blocks dissapearing!

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Simon,

Please could you provide more information, such as the version of Moodle you are using and the course format.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Heinz Krettek -
Hi Helen,

i found the same problem. Using 1.7.2 an theme format i lost my add block block. If i move a block from left side to the right it disappeared also.

How can i fix the problem, which only occurs in this course.

thanks in advance

Heinz
In reply to Simon Clegg

by Eugene Lyu -

I've got a more serious problem.  Today, after I added an RSS block, the general block that allows us to add various kinds of blocks disappeared in the admin editing page!  But it is there in other course pages.  Can someone help me?

I'm going to be killed by other teachers.  Save me, please!!

In reply to Eugene Lyu

by Eugene Tsaplin -

I have absolutly same problem.

I have installed moodle 1.7+

then Russian language pack

Then changed a template,

and after that i found out that "Blocks" and "Filters" in admin page are missing (just a blank page appears when you click on them.)

I really hope someone can help with this problem.

thx

In reply to Eugene Tsaplin

by João Andresen -
I had exactly same problem after I added an rss feed to right menu. Add blocks block disappeared. After that all blocks moved from left side to the right disappear. Many people have this problem in the forum and it seems noone knows how to fix it. PLEASE dont ask once more if we turned Editing on (only advice people post here).
In reply to João Andresen

by Rod Norfor -
I have seen disappearing blocks when for some reason you have more that block being allocated the same weight in a position on the page.

I have been unable to replicate the problem, either change the database entries in mdl_block_instance so that they don't have the same weight or have a look at the blocks_get_by_page function in blocklib.php where the blocks get overwritten ( you could check if it is already set in the array $arr[$block->position][$block->weight] and then increment $block->weight if it is)

It may be that the block instance table needs a constraint so that 2 blocks can be allocated to the same position on the page?

I haven't notice if we still have the problem.

HTH

Cheers.

Rod

In reply to João Andresen

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi João,

I had this RSS block -> No Add blocks block once in Windows 2003 server where running scripts and RSS was not possible but RSS was not disabled from moodle settings. When a teacher added a RSS feed to her course Add blocks block was gone...

I deleted that feed from database with phpmyadmin and Add blocks block came back.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by João Andresen -
Thank you for the tips. My admin opened configuration in Moodle and deleted feeds. All went back to normal, the missing blocks all reappeared. No need to use phpmyadmin. Then, to test it, we added feeds and again no more blocks. So, its clear that Moodle doesnt like some feeds. Unless its a problem we have here, XML isnt working (it seems PHP its not configured), maybe that causes the problems.
In reply to Simon Clegg

by Heinz Krettek -
hi there,

i discovered that my blocks come back if i change the theme. The situation the disappeared was using chameleon. I switched to a variation of the formalwhite theme and they come back and still there if i change theme back to chameleon.

No idea how this works.
Heinz