Moodle 1.7: breadcrumb trail shows ? instead of > Anyone know why?

Moodle 1.7: breadcrumb trail shows ? instead of > Anyone know why?

by Jesse Thorstad -
Number of replies: 8
Hello,

I've successfully run a 1.5.4 Moodle site for a long time with no troubles. I just did a new install of 1.7, and the only problem I have is that the > character in the breadcrumb and calendar is replaced with a ?. This happens in every theme that comes with Moodle. I am using English_US for language.

Breadbrumb error

Anyone know why this is and how to fix it? Many thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jesse Thorstad

Re: Moodle 1.7: breadcrumb trail shows ? instead of > Anyone know why?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
From version 1.5 to 1.6 Moodle changed to UTF8 character encoding.
It also changed its breadcrumb "indicator" from
  • right angle quote (guillemotright) »
  • to BLACK RIGHT-POINTING POINTER ►
Can you see in your browser the ► character in the breadcrumb at the top of this discussion forum?
Oh, and which browser (and which version and which platform) are you using?
If you see a ? instead of a ► then probably something went wrong with the UTF8 character encoding when you installed your new 1.7 version. Did you do a completely new install or an upgrade from 1.5 ?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jesse Thorstad -
Using Mac OS X, Firefox, and yes, I DO see the new pointer style in this forum! Thanks for pointing that out.

This is a new 1.7 install. All of my tables were set up with a collation of utf8_unicode_ci, and a type of MyISAM. Are those not good?

If so, is there an easy way to alter those tables to the proper collation and/or type?

Many thanks!

Jesse
In reply to Jesse Thorstad

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Sorry, I can't help with Mac OS nor with database collation. If your new 1.7 install went ok, then there really should be no problem with the displaying of the BLACK RIGHT-POINTING POINTER ►in your Moodle breadcrumb.
Thing you could try:
  • create as a new resource an HTMl page and paste that BLACK RIGHT-POINTING POINTER ► into it. When that HTML page is displayed, can you see the BLACK RIGHT-POINTING POINTER ► ?
  • in your browser, can you change the character coding display to ISO... UTF... etc. and do you notice any difference?
Sorry can't help any further...
Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Alick Brown -
Any reason why the separators show correctly in Firefox, and not in ie6 [shows a square]?
I'm using 1.7, Chameleon theme, Apache.

ie6 also loses Chameleon's borders...
https://vle.oakham.rutland.sch.uk/

Thanks
Alick
In reply to Alick Brown

by Joseph Rézeau -
Alick,
Your Moodle site shows breadcrumb pointed triangle separators correctly both in MSIE 7 and FireFox 2 (Windows).
Joseph
Attachment image000.jpg

by Alick Brown -
Thanks...
Just an IE6 'feature' then. IE6 is also preventing file upload for a reason I can't work out...
Alick
In reply to Alick Brown

by Michael Kowalczyk -
okay, i had exactly the same issue.. finnaly ive copied the theme\standard directory of a fresh moodle install to my production site and (make sure u take the same version of moodle) and it all was fine.. no more [] square insted of &#x25BA aka ► ,

and one more thing.. when using the moode html editor in IE ive noticed the ► to appear in html code mode but, not in wysiwyg mode there it is still shown as square .. now by putting ► in <pre ... </pre> tags one can force the ► to appear correctly in wysiwyg mode... or just change the fonttype from trebuchet to arial smile

MiK
In reply to Michael Kowalczyk

by Jesse Thorstad -
A clean install on a different server fixed my problem as well...

Jesse