Roles Difficulties - Moodle 1.7

Roles Difficulties - Moodle 1.7

by Leon Hordyk -
Number of replies: 5
Hello everyone,

I have recently installed Moodle 1.7 on linux box, as my first moodle installation. Everything is working well except for the roles and enrollment. When I create a new course, the course creator seems to be randomly assigned to anybody with the role of course creator. In fact, on one of the three courses, I wasn't listed as course creator, but as a teacher in that course, and a person who has never logged on, is listed as the creator.

If I log on as that course creator, or as an administrator, I cannot unenroll from a course either. It asks me if I want to do unenroll, I click the yes box, but nothing changes. All new courses show up under all course creators, even though some of them have never logged onto the Moodle system yet.

I am contemplating deleting it all and installing 1.6 instead. Is that my best option?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leon Hordyk

Re: Roles Difficulties - Moodle 1.7

by Cândido Pereira -
I'm having the same problem. Have you solved it? I haven't fond an answer yet.
In reply to Leon Hordyk

by Jeff Herman -
From the way you describe the problem, I'm not sure if this is the solution, but its a common mistake. When you set up the roles for Course Creators, did you assign those roles at the site level, or for each course? Roles are context-specific, so for example, if you wanted Professor Smith to be a Course Creator in the course Biology 101, his role would have to be set inside Biology 101, not from the Moodle frontpage. Any roles set from the Moodle frontpage will apply to every course.

I hope this was helpful.
In reply to Jeff Herman

by Cândido Pereira -
Thanks. Like you said the mistake was having creators on the site level. I remove them and they disappear from the courses. But now I still have the administrator enrol on the courses. Can I remove the administrator from the site context? I don’t remember if it was I the put him there or if is the by default.
In reply to Cândido Pereira

by Jeff Herman -
Unfortunately, it is by design that administrators are visible in every course. I don't like it, either. I don't like students being able to see profiles of people they don't really interact with, like the administrators. A small change I did was to change the default view of the Participants screen to show only the "Student" role instead of "All" roles. Sure, students could change it to show "All" if they wanted to, but its the best I could come up with.
In reply to Leon Hordyk

by Dean Abanilla -
Hi there,

I am having this same enenroll issue, I see now that I too need to reset my default view for the participants page. Which I agree is not a very good solution.
However, I still think there is an issue, since I cannot enroll "students" in courses either. If I am logged in as the Admin, I select a student in a course, click unenroll, but the student(s) remain in the course.