Effects of upgrade to 1.7 on old Humboldt Upload & Review assignments

Effects of upgrade to 1.7 on old Humboldt Upload & Review assignments

by Sean McKay -
Number of replies: 4
Hi All, what are the effects of upgrading from 1.6x to 1.7 on old Humboldt Upload & Review assignments? I'd like to avoid installing it again and rely solely on the new 1.7 Upload module so the old code will not be available -- do old assignments that were of the Upload & Review type degrade/downgrade gracefully or are they inaccessible if the module is not loaded?

Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean McKay

Re: Effects of upgrade to 1.7 on old Humboldt Upload & Review assignments

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Good question. The code for the module had to be rewritten from the ground up for 1.7 but I *think* the data was the same.

I suspect that changing the "assignmenttype" field in the "assignment" table from "uploadreview" to "upload" could work, but someone needs to test that.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi!

The new advanced upload type is not compatible with original 3rd party code, but instead it is compatible with online and upload single types as much as possible so that you can change the assignment type to advanced upload without major data loss.

The only way to convert existing data to this new type is to ask original authors to create upgrade scripts.

skodak
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Sean McKay -
Sounds to me like our best bet is to hammer at this a bit with a copy of our data and see what happens. It would be easy enough to change an assignment from the Upload & Review type back to the Upload Single File type before upgrading with the help of a little SQL at the database level smile. Once our server is upgraded, faculty could then switch the assignments to the new Upload type if they wanted that functionality. I'll probably play with this a bit and I'll definitely let you know what happens.