QUIZ Attempts not showing

QUIZ Attempts not showing

by Tim Grech -
Number of replies: 20

This started happening recently. When I click the link that says something like "View 39 Quiz attempts (16 students)" the next page says "Nothing to Show". I tried setting up a 1 question quiz with one attempt only allowed (to test it) but the same problem happened.

We have no expertise here to modify scripts, html etc etc and don't even have access to our Moodle server. Does anybody know of a simple solution? (e.g., with our last bug of no text editor appearing - a simple theme change fixed that one).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Grech

Re: QUIZ Attempts not showing

by Just H -
Hi Tim

I've had this happen a few times recently and no real idea why.

First couple of times it fixed itself after I updated (I use cvs to keep my sites up to date).

The last time it happened, I turned on debugging and noticed that a field was missing so I delved into the database on my live site and test site and noticed that somehow or other a field was indeed missing on the live site (off the top of my head I believe it was in the quiz_attempts table and the missing field was uniqueid). I manually added this field and things seem to be working fine - please note though I have no idea of the implications, if any, of doing this!

Hope it at leasts points you in the right direction, perhaps ask your IT people (or whoever looks after your server) to update if possible or check the quiz_attempts table.

Regards
Harry
In reply to Just H

by Tim Grech -
Thanks - this could come in useful. Do you know if this is an issue with Moodle V1.6 or not? We are having an upgrade sometime soon.
In reply to Tim Grech

by Just H -
Sorry Tim, I should have mentioned versions.

First couple of times was on a 1.5.4 install, this issue made me finally upgrade the production server to 1.6.3.

It was in 1.6.3 I noticed the missing field (was working fine for a few days then the problem cropped up again). Been fine for the past couple of weeks.

As mentioned, no idea why it happened, was thinking it may have been an issue with a glitch when updating via cvs but not sure if that is a feasible hypothesis.
In reply to Just H

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
1.5.x is ancient history as far as I am concerned, since I started working on the quiz in about May this year. I don't know anything about it.

There was a potential problem with the upgrade of the quiz from 1.5.x to 1.6.x, because it was quite a big change and it did lots of stuff in the database withought checking that one step had succeeded before going on to the next. That meant that if something went wrong, you probably did not find out about it until later, when things mysteriously stopped working. I thought that was not good enough, so I added error checking to the upgrade. So now, either the upgrade works, or you get an error message that tells you what went wrong.

When you do upgrade, make sure you have a full backup first. Then if you do hit an error, please file a bug in the tracker. Armed with the error message, we should probably be able to fix any bug.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Grech -
Cool bananas! Does this mean the missing quiz attempts bug (if that is a bug) doesn't happen in 1.6?
In reply to Tim Grech

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It is certainly a bug. People seem to be saying that it no longer happens in 1.6. However, I cannot comment from my own experience.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Grech -
This has magically started working again!!! Any ideas - I don't think we're getting automatic updtes (if that exists)
In reply to Tim Grech

by Tim Grech -
Ah - I found out we were getting patches & updates installed for us. Doesn anybody know if a recent patch addressed this? i know it's fixed but I would love to know how (well I mean which patch). Is there a place where we can find out this sort of information.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tim - There does seem to be an issue in accurately displaying the attempts with the various options that are available. I have experienced this when trying to do a couple of things in combination. For example, show me the students in group 4 who have no attempts will result in nothing to display when in fact there are students in group 4 who had not attempted it. I will be looking more in to this as we have exams this week and I should have a little more time to mess around with the 1.6.3+ code.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Tim Hunt -
I can't really do much unless you can point me at a specific, reproducable problem. (And even if you do, I am pretty busy at the moment, and unlikely to be able to do much until after Christmas, so you will just have to file it in the tracker and wait.)

The only two report issues like this that I am aware of are the one at the start of this thread, and the one you mention on your post.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anthony Borrow -
Fair enough - I will look in to tracking things down and report them to you via the tracker. I previously had teacher access to a quiz course on the test.moodle.com server that allowed me to do some testing. If possible, I would like to have that set back up again as it gives a common place for demonstrating errors. Any idea of whom to contact to get that set up?

by Tim Hunt -
Step by step instructions in the tracker, so that I, or anyone else, can reproduce the problem in their own development environment, is much better. One way to do this may be to attach a course backup to the bug report.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Alex Chapin -
We have experienced the same problem of quiz attempts not showing... Specifically the results tab will indicate for example:
2 Participants have made 3 attempts
Nothing to display

If you chose:
Show all participants

Only those participants who have not made quiz attempts will be listed.

If you chose:
Show Participants with attempts only or
Show all attempts

Nothing to display

Not sure if this bug is whether it is in the file that prints out results but for what its worth, here is the file and version:

mod/quiz/report.php
<?php // $Id: report.php,v 1.40.2.1 2006/08/10 15:31:00 skodak Exp $
In reply to Alex Chapin

by Tim Hunt -
So that is Moodle 1.6.3.

The cause of this problem is that something is not quite right in your database tables, however we have never been able to adequately pin down what goes wrong and why.

Where did these attempts come from? Have you recently upgraded from a previous version of Moodle?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jeff Eldridge -
Yesterday I experienced a problem nearly identical to the one Alex mentioned. I'm running Moodle 1.7+ and when viewing quiz attempts got a screen that said "Nothing to display" even though it offered links to pages 2 and 3 of the non-existent output for the 24 quiz attempts I was trying to view.

I logged out, logged in as admin, ran the pending chron jobs, and when I logged back in as an instructor the problem was gone. I doubt that this sheds light on the cause of the problem or how to reproduce it, but thought I should share just in case.
In reply to Jeff Eldridge

by Heather P -
I am testing an upgrade from 1.5.2 to 1.7.1 and we have the same issue. The view attempts disappeared 2 days ago and having read this thread I just went in and hey presto they are back.
Following in your vein of sharing info that may or may not be relevant - as it is a test environment no crons are running but the computer will have been rebooted at least twice. I did not make any changes to the quiz settings during this time.

Does this issue happen constantly or is it a once only thing as in do I need to start hunting about for anomalies or is it once it is back it is back for good?

Thanks
Heather
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Alex Chapin -
Thanks for picking up this thread. Not sure the problem is caused by database tables, am working with a 1.6.3 clean install (i.e. did not update from earlier version).

Seems to be related to the quiz settings and/or attempts by an instructor. I say this only because the quiz attempts that were not showing up did reappear after making changes to the quiz settings and/or changing users, could not pin down...
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anthony Borrow -
Tim - I have posted a patch for MDL-7772 that you may wish to check in to 1.6 and beyond that should resolve this particular bug. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
Tim - Would you like for me to check in the patch for MDL-7772? Peace - Anthony

by Tim Hunt -
Sorry, I have been working on other things for a bit (Java, Yay! wink) I need to catch up on my bugmail this afternoon. I'll try to get the patch reviewed soon.