help! LDAP problems! Connection: 'Resource id #30' Bind result: ??

help! LDAP problems! Connection: 'Resource id #30' Bind result: ??

by pierre vairo -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everybody!

I'm a tech at Gladstone Park SC in Melbourne, my boss is very keen to install moodle and to be frank so am I (it would be great to really see the teachers get into it)

Installation was a breeze but im coming up against this weird error after trying to log in after setting up LDAP authentication.

LDAP-module cannot connect any LDAP servers : Server: 'ldap://10.129.56.20:389' Connection: 'Resource id #30' Bind result: ''

I've tried searching all over the net and moodle.org to find out what im doing wrong but to no avail.

php -m comes up clean and ldp.exe connects to 10.129.56.20:389 without any problems (ive also tried using 'ldap://7858fs1')

has anyone else came up across this and worked it out? if so, please help....

please..........

thanks in advance, pierre

ps: how about some specs?

windows 2003

the 1.7 packaged install of moodle

ldap has been de-commented and comes up in php-m

Average of ratings: -
In reply to pierre vairo

Re: help! LDAP problems! Connection: 'Resource id #30' Bind result: ??

by Rick Boyce -
Sounds like a problem with your bind user rather than not being able to connect to the server.

ldap_bind_dn & ldap_bind_pw should be set to a valid username that can read
your LDAP directory. If your using active directory any user account will be able to do this. I couldn't get LDAP to work with our AD setup without a valid bind user.

Settings look like this:
ldap_bind_dn: cn=USER,ou=USERS,dc=ribble,dc=ac,dc=uk (cn is, IIRC, the display name attribute of the user. ou is the Organisational Unit, from the root of your domain - so an OU staff inside an OU users would look like ou=staff,ou=users. dc is the domain name - replace any dots with dc=, so ribble.ac.uk becomes dc=ribble,dc=ac,dc=uk)
ldap_bind_dn: login password.

Hope that helps you with your problem smile
In reply to Rick Boyce

by pierre vairo -

Thanks!!

That worked a treat!

sorry for the ignorance on my part!

In reply to pierre vairo

by Rick Boyce -
No need to appologise - I spent a few days shouting nasty things at my computer trying to get LDAP Auth to work with our AD, I hit about every error message I can imagine along the way!
In reply to pierre vairo

by Patrick Doliny -

Hey yall,

I'm having the same problem as mentioned with LDAP and tried but failed in applying the suggested fix. can anyone help?

this is the error that I get:

"LDAP-module cannot connect to any servers: Server: '10.10.0.12', Connection: 'Resource id #47', Bind result: ''

My network admin recently resigned and he was the keeper of the moodle site.

I'm not sure where to find a solution.