Fascists, Hippies and Happy Media

Fascists, Hippies and Happy Media

by Timothy Takemoto -
Number of replies: 5
On moodle docs Martin Dougiamas represents the balanced, eclectic Moodle pedagogical ethos in the following way (snipping liberally but I hope not unfairly).

People have a wide range of expectations of online learning...

At the fascist extreme there are those who want students to be highly controlled...rat in a maze. 

At the techno-hippy end of that spectrum there are those who want to devolve management completely, with every user running their own portfolio site. (my emphasis added)

I expect my online learning to be highly controlled, and like a maze, so I find myself placed at the "fascist" end of the spectrum. I stratch my pate, mumble "fascist?!" and feel something big is missing from the above formulation.

It seems to me that the above formulation would be correct if 
1) it referred to learning as a whole,  or
2) it referred to a system that could only be used for distance or other pure-online learning, because then again it would refer to the learning environment as a whole.

If I were involved in purely online learning, then my courses which are ful of tests might be appropriately termed "fascist". That is to say that the metaphor would, I feel, be apt.

What the above seems to miss is, however, that for a lot of teachers online learning is but a part (often a minor part) of learning as a whole. If someone were to attempt to control their students in learning as a whole, and treat their students as rats in a maze overall, then "fascist" would I feel be an appropriate appelation.

But since for many teachers, who are either non-technophile themselves or because they have non technophile students, online learning is just a small part of learning life, and because machines are particularly well suited to controlling and putting people through mazes, it seems to me to be very un-fascists to use online education to provide that small bit of fascism, in an otherwise (not techno- but) hippy learning environment.

Online education is not the whole and it need not even mirror the whole. It can be that place to which hippy (not fascist) teachers relegate their 'quizing'.

I would not mention this again but for the ongoing misconception, as I see it, still promulgated in moodle documentation. It is strange to me, b
ut an important issue I believe.

I am reminded of the "'secure windows' aren't secure" debate. To the "techno-" (hippy or otherwise) secure windows do not seem secure because the technified know there is and always will be a technological solution that beats the security measures. Since the solution exists somewhere then (by a dream of n=np perhaps) it is presumed that it will soon be available everywhere, despite the fact, in the non-techno world of students pressing keys, the 'secure windows' do really prevent a lot of cheating. Similarly, when we take a step back from the tech, in the real world of students learning things, the fact that the some take tests, and ONLY tests, online, does not make their teacher 'fascist.' Lets get this straight.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Fascists, Hippies and Happy Media

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I used those labels just to be provocative and a little humorous (it's based on a paper I wrote for a conference), and they are meant to be read with a smile attached. And it *is* just meant to refer to the extremes of a spectrum of online techniques, not teachers as a whole! smile I'm sure no-one is really that extreme.

What label would you suggest for that end of the spectrum?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Timothy Takemoto -

I think that the labels are fine and humorously taken. And, I don't think I am making myself clear at all. I don't have a problem with the labels themselves at all. I will have to have a think.

But come to think of it, however, the F word is sensitive to some people so perhaps: Pavlovians, Behaviourists, Control Freaks, Authoritarians, Master/Dominatrix, Social-Programmers, Fact-packers....

by Timothy Takemoto -

The problem I have is putting wholes (people/pedagogies) on a "spectrum" based upon an assesment of part, and then using that "spectrum" to suggest a happy middle.

An analogy using a different technology and a different pedagogical divide:

One-way teaching: One-way teaching is a style of teaching where the information flows from teacher to student only and not in the reverse direction.

Two-way teaching: Two-way teachinig is a style of teaching where the information flows in both directions, from teacher to student, and from student to teacher. There are many ways of facilitating this.

A different technology: The blackboard.

The following statement may sound plausible...

Teachers who use the blackboard for transmitting information to their students, but do not let students use the chalk are (boo) "one-way teachers."

"But hold on", says a teacher..."I never let students hold the chalk, but I let them speak from the auditorium, even take the lecturn, write comments, phone me, come to my office, use a noticeboard in the corridoor, and using the frequent show of hands. I and my teaching is not one-way at all. "

"Yes, but I am just talking about the blackboard," cometh the reply. Eh?

Lets say that there is a blackboard manufacturer wondering how big the chalk box will be, how many chalk boxes there will be, how far around the room the blackboard will stretch. The manufacturer says:

Well, we could make the blackboard for those teachers right at the [smile, use word like "fact-packer"] one-way end of the spectrum (!?!), that only use the chalk themselves, or we could make it for the two-way teachers at the other end of the spectrum that let every one use the blackboard equally. Obviously these are both extremes. Fair 'n reasonable blackboards stretch about half way around the class and have about 10, bucket-sized chalk boxes!

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, interesting perspective and I can see why you might feel wrongly labelled, but being a "fact-packer" smile online need not reflect on one's whole teaching style in a blended course.

From my point of view, to continue your metaphor: the blackboard manufacturer is naturally going to mostly focus on the experience of how teachers use blackboards (and not lecterns or telephones and other things not in their control).

However, they might want to start encouraging existing blackboard users towards the other technology they manufacture - interactive whiteboards - because they feel that these offer extra opportunities beyond what the old blackboards could ever do (even if some teachers choose to continue using them for one-way writing only, which is totally fine).

by Timothy Takemoto -

Quite so...yes...Perhaps that sums things up. I will think. I am rather slow.