Moodle Developer Meeting Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Moodle Developer Meeting Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 21
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi all!

There'll be a developer meeting this Friday 8am Perth time (find your time) to provide a chance for all of us to have a chat about the various things being worked on right now and upcoming.

The agenda will be evolving here:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Developer_conference_December_2006

The technology will probably be Elluminate (more details closer to the time).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Moodle Developer Meeting Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Martin, if you want, you can probably use our FlashMeeting server, which as available via http://labspace.open.ac.uk/.

I can't actually find an acceptable usage policy, so I don't know whether discussing non-OpenLearn stuff there is OK. I've asked. I am pretty sure the answer will be yes, and anyway, Moodle is relevant to OpenLearn!

If you go that route, you have the option of making a recording of the meeeting publicly available afterwards.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jenny Gray -
Yes, its fine to use the LabSpace FlashMeeting server. The only drawback might be that there is a limit of 25 users in the meeting - this is to ensure a basic level of performance for every-one.

I'm not sure how big the Moodle Developer Meetings get?

by Bryan Williams -

An Elluminate activity with Martin designated as moderator has been created for this time should it be agreed this is where the Moodle Developer Meeting will take place. Invitations were sent to many who typically attend Developer Meetings already.  The link to this meeting is:

Link: http://67.59.141.143:8080/join_meeting.html?meetingId=1165324957008 

Username: Please use your real name (e.g. John Smith)
Password: moodle 

The meeting will be recorded for those who can't make it. If you have not used Elluminate before arrive a little early and test your headset and microphone. Participation is limited to the first 55 users entering the virtual room. 

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Pablo Etcheverry -
Picture of Core developers
?

Not Found

The requested URL /join_meeting.html was not found on this server.

Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at 67.59.141.143 Port 80

Cheers,

Pablo

In reply to Pablo Etcheverry

by Bryan Williams -
Hi Pablo, the link seems to work for me. You will not be able to enter the virtual room however until the appointed time.

by Pablo Etcheverry -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Bryan, must have been temporal... sorry for being so anxious!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, Bryan, yes, let's use the Elluminate room again.

So everybody: http://67.59.141.143:8080/join_meeting.html?meetingId=1165324957008

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
I'm sorry but I won't be able to attend.

About the wiki, we have revisited the security stuff, double and triple checking backups, xml exports and ewiki migrations, roles and xml are already on its way...
In one week I expect a 1.7 working version.

cheers

Ludo

by John Papaioannou -
Hi... long time no see! smile

Just found out about this, and unfortunately I will not be able to attend as in two hours (conference starting time) I 'm expected to be safely fast asleep inside our homely barracks. sleepy For some peculiar reason they don't have internet access there, so I won't be able to cheat either.

I hope there will be a recording of the session which we could listen to. Cheers to all who will make it!

Jon
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Carlos Romero -
Anybody knows if there is a recording of the session. Where?
In reply to Carlos Romero

by Bryan Williams -

Hi Carlos,

The recording of the Moodle Developers meeting is at: http://elluminate.remote-learner.net:8080/play_recording.html?recordingId=1165324957008_1165530555513

Martin's connection was a little funky so be patient with the slow refresh rate on screens he was sharing; it was a very good meeting which lasted a little over 2 hours.

by Matt Moore -

Brian,

Thanks for the post.  It was a helpful link.  Are these meetings open to anyone who is interested in learning more about the design and development of Moodle?

In reply to Matt Moore

by Martín Langhoff -
In general they are open to those doing development. The conferencing system gets a bit bogged down if there's a lot of people connected, and we are stretching it a bit already.

In practice, however, access is open. If you are just curious, you can just watch the recorded session after the fact and at a time convenient to you. If you want to take part of the next one... it won't hurt if you submit a few patches first wink

In any case, some good reading material here:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Developer_documentation

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Working_with_the_Community

by Tony Hursh -
Hmm... it asks me for a recording password?

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Tony Hursh -
Never mind. I used the "moodle" password that was posted earlier in the thread, and all seems well.

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is there any way we Linux users see this recording? I can't seem to find a Linux version of the Elluminate cliente anywhere.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Samuli Karevaara -
Did you try to follow the link? I got the impression that it installed a java-applet based Elluminate-viewer. If I remember correctly it worked out of the box on Ubuntu 6.10. (The recording seems to launch a JNLP file at first)
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Rajeev Arora -
Hi there,

Full Disclosure: I work for Elluminate smile

All you need to do is make sure you have a version of Sun's Java installed and the recording should play back just fine on Linux as well. You can get Java from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

After that, the first time you watch an Elluminate recording, it will download the JNLP file and use Java Web Start to get the rest of the Elluminate playback client JAR files. The browser should know what to do with a JNLP file if the MIME type is configured correctly - but you can always save the JNLP file on your desktop and manually launch it with Java Web Start as well.

Shameless Plug: Recordings in Elluminate are pretty cool - you can see and hear everything that happened in the sesson, you can save the slides presented during the session as PNGs or PDFs. You can save the text chat as a TXT file. If people in the live session had their user profiles filled in, you can even email them right from within the recording playback smile

If you have any trouble at all, just email support@elluminate.com and we'll help out.

Thanks,

Rajeev

by Rajeev Arora -
Hi Martin and Bryan,

The reason for the slow refresh rate might be that the connection speed on Martin's machine might be set to Dialup rather than Cable or LAN etc. This will throttle the traffic being sent out from Martin's machine down to 56kbps and hence, the refresh would be pretty slow.

It's worthwhile to check that in the Elluminate application and set it to a higher speed connection to see if it fixes the issue.

Cheers,

Rajeev
In reply to Rajeev Arora

by Tony Hursh -
Hi, Rajeev. We've had excellent results with Elluminate here at UIUC, but I've always wondered about this.

Why is it necessary to set the connection speed manually? Couldn't it just shoot a few packets back and forth to the server during the setup process, then adjust itself to the best speed? I realize this might be a little tricky for an asymmetric connection (or one that had high latency, like a satellite connection) but it seems like it ought to be doable.

We like your product a lot!

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Rajeev Arora -
Tony,

Thanks for the positive feedback and the suggestion.

The prompt at the beginning is really sort of an "upper-limit" which the user can set for Elluminate (in fact, you can set it once for a machine and tell Elluminate not to ask you the question again). The idea is to allow the user to control the upper limit of how much bandwidth you really want to allow Elluminate to use.

After that is initially set, we actually do exactly what you suggest and we monitor the connection and continually adjust the data being sent to that user. That is sort of the "secret-sauce" in Elluminate called the Collaborative Communications Framework (CCF). Since you've been using Elluminate, you've probably noticed that even if someone has set the connection speed to Cable or Broadband, if there's any Internet connection hiccup at all, CCF recognizes that and starts showing a red indicator by any data that's being backed up for the user (Audio or App-sharing or Video etc.) When the connection gets re-established, CCF again recognizes that and dynamically accelerates the streaming of data (such as audio which leads to the funnily named "chipmunk effect" where the speaker sounds like they are on a bit of helium smile Doing that acceleration means that the user doesn't lose any audio data and yet they are caught back to real-time, live as soon as possible, so they can fully participate in the session.

So, a long-winded answer and explanation at midnight my time, but hopefully, it makes sense smile

Thanks,

Rajeev