Questions about numerical questions

Questions about numerical questions

by Russ Maurer -
Number of replies: 2
Two questions about numerical questions:
1. Is there a wild-card that will capture all incorrect answers? For example, if the correct answer is 2.5 and I'm willing to accept a range of 2:3 I can put that in as the first answer. To give custom feedback for other answers I need a wild card to use for the second answer. I guess -inf:2, 3:+inf could work but it seems awkward at best.
2. I'm finding that the student's answer to a numerical question is not echoed back in the response. I'm seeing "Your answer:" followed by the appropriate feedback.

For example, here's the question page:

So far, you've determined that 100 grams of your mystery compound
contains 11.64 g of N and 88.36 g of Cl. However, the subscripts of
the chemical formula tell you the moles
of each element in the compound, not the grams. Therefore, you will
need to convert each of those masses to moles. Be sure to use an molar mass with at least as many sig figs as the mass you are converting. For N, the calculation
is as follows:

6d18b0ffc4353da7ecffe5d6601ed0bc.gif

Now you calculate the moles of Cl.

Your answer:
The number 2.49 moles was entered but did not copy to this post. It is the correct answer. The response is:

Your answer :
Excellent!

The lesson parameters are described in my previous thread on this forum.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Russ Maurer

Re: Questions about numerical questions

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Russ,

2. I'm finding that the student's answer to a numerical question is not echoed back in the response

You have stumbled onto a bug in 1.6. I have fixed it in MOODLE_16_STABLE and it appears that 1.7 has already been fixed. So, the next make of 1.6.3+ should have the fix.

1. Is there a wild-card that will capture all incorrect answers?

There is no wildcard for numerical questions. An easy "catch all" would be -10000:10000

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

Re: Questions about numerical questions

by Jon Streeter -

It appears that wildcards have been added to the numerical question type in 1.7 - however this seems only to apply to quizes.  Are there plans to have a wildcard functionality for numerical questions in the lesson module?