ExamView 5.2 XML Export to Moodle Works!

ExamView 5.2 XML Export to Moodle Works!

by Kam Vento -
Number of replies: 12
ExamView took XML export out of ver 5.1 but put it back in 5.2 professional and it works with Moodle. Haven't tested images or all question types yet.

Publisher versions are often 5 months behind current releases
You can get a 30 day trial of 5.2 Pro here: http://server.fscreations.com/downloads/examview/ExamView5_Trial_Setup.exe
You can send your suggestions about Moodle to feedback@fscreations.com. (I don't work for them)

Thanks to Martin and all the volunteers who work on Moodle, It's really appreciated.

I'm happy to volunteer to test the XML import, my php skills are too limited to help in the programming area.

Thanks
Kam Vento
Business Education

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kam Vento

Re: ExamView 5.2 XML Export to Moodle Works!

by Dianne S -
Just to clarify, the XML export is only available in the 5.2 Professional Edition, not the 5.2 Publisher version. FSC is investigating alternate solutions to integrate with Moodle... suggestions are always welcome!
In reply to Dianne S

by Kam Vento -
Diane

I think you mean the publisher 5.1 version. The tech support person told me XML export would be in the publisher 5.2 release, which is some months away.

kv
In reply to Kam Vento

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It doesn't work with images I'm afraid - but if somebody want to send me some examples I can try and make it work.

I'm not sure why FSC are looking at taking XML export out of Examview. I guess the ideal solution would be for Examview to natively support Moodle's XML format instead. I'm certainly happy to provide any help they may need on that one (or any other options for that matter).
In reply to Howard Miller

by Kam Vento -
Howard

"I'm not sure why FSC are looking at taking XML export out of Examview"

I spoke with their FSC support and they put XML back in to Ver 5.2, folks who get the bundled publisher pack will have to wait some months for 5.2 to be bundled.

If we wanted to start a campaign to have them consider including a Moodle XML export in ExamView, Moodle users can send email to: feedback@fscreations.com.

As I now have ExamView Pro 5.2, I'll work up a test XML file with some images for you. I think the XML import is the best place to put time and energy.

Thanks
Kam
In reply to Kam Vento

by Dianne S -
Kam ---

There must have been a communication misunderstanding when you spoke to our Support person. I'm the Technical Product Manager who oversaw the ExamView 5.2 point release and I assure you that the feature you describe is only available in the Professional Edition for this version.

Moodle support is very much on our feature to-do list. We had originally intended to include it in our January release but had to postpone it due to the large number of other new features we needed to include.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the product and user input is always appreciated.

Dianne
In reply to Dianne S

by Kam Vento -

Hard to argue with the product manager, your support person must have got it wrong, in any event I purchased 5.2 Pro because I really need to have a simpler way to import questions into Moodle. Still don't have a reliable way to export from Examview to Moodle. You suggestions and help would be most appreciated. I'm more than willing to conduct testing.

by Kam Vento -

Howard

As Dianna S. says she is the product manager at FSC. She is the best source for ExamView info. I purchased ExamView Pro because I have numerous question banks in ExamView that I want to upload to Moode. I have been able to do this in the past Moodle 1.6+ using ExamView generated WebCt output by unziping the dat file. Images didn't import with webct but the image link was in the question and one could upload and paste the images.

I think XML might be an easier to support import option. It appears ExamView includes the images in some kind of pic format. If FSC is willing to share the format or output in a standard format, it would require including some additional parsing in the existing code and either conversion to jpg format of the image or possibly an native xml filter or viewer, if such a thing exists.

I realize these things are always more work and am willing to do whatever I can to help. I think we need to come up with a more universal open-source based method to import questions.

My php programming skills would not be very useful, but I could be helpful in the area of testing and design.  

kv

In reply to Kam Vento

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Kam,

Actually, the Moodle specific xml import/export does handle inline images and does it with base64 encoding. I would imagine that Examview does something similar.

I have never seen an example though - nobody seems to want to post a file smile

Maybe if I could see a file with pictures in it I could take an inspired guess or, better still, FSC could tell me what the encoding is tongueout

Hopefully, after that, it should not be the end of the world to actually implement.

by Paul Lulai -
Hello all.
I am relatively new to Moodle. I have no php skills. Sorry.
I have an ExamView Test in 5.1, & 5.2 (thanks for the trial linke Kam). The quiz I have has no pictures & I am unable to import the quiz into Moodle 1.6x. Any ideas on what to do?
I have no ability to make changes to the Moodle server. I am using an account provided for this year alone as a 'hey try this' offer from a local teacher tech helper organization.

I have:
saved the test file as an exam view file, try to import exam view. No Luck
export as examview xml, import as exam view. no luck
export as examview xml, import as moodle xml. no luck

This is what the questions look like in xml format (as far as I can tell, & I hope the copy/pasting isn't too annoying).

-I will post an exam view 5.2 xml version of a test with m.c. & t/f questions at the website below.
<
http://www.stanthony.k12.mn.us/hsscience/moxie/bm~doc/exam-view-xml-test-file.xml>;
The same test in EV 5.2 is posted at:
<
http://www.stanthony.k12.mn.us/hsscience/moxie/bm~doc/exam-view-52-test-file.doc>;
However, our content manager software will not allow a .tst extension. To view the file as an exam view file, the .doc extension must be changed to .tst

I don't know if this will help or not. I do appreciate everyone's work. If there is a different post format that I should use to make my input more helpful, please let me know.

Thanks to all

Just saw the attachment option. I'll attach the 5.2 xml version.

In reply to Paul Lulai

by Dianne S -
If you are unable to update your server, you should still be able to use the Blackboard export format as described in this thread:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=58121&parent=271130

Be sure to use Moodle's Blackboard import format, not the Blackboard V6+ format. This import format does not support bringing in images, but it sounds like that won't matter to you. A word of caution, ExamView equations will be converted to images when exported.

by Kam Vento -
Howard

That would be cool if FSC did their pic encoding in base-64. Here's a sample of some econ questions with graphics.

kv

by Kam Vento -
Howard

That would be cool if FSC used base-64 encoding. I'll send you an attachment to the email listed in your profile. My small test file with graphics, exceeds the forum upload limit.