I fully agree! It seems an excellent idea but it's implementation is administratively difficult. The idea of assigning a parental account to each student and to the courses of that student is simply too complex.
Either we have this wrong or this needs urgent redress before it becomes useful to the community as a whole.
From my side I believe the steps so far seem to be:
- Create an account for each parent
- Assign them the role of Parent from the home page (which is where in the structure? I have them above student at present). Set the 5 flags mentioned in a tracker post.
- Go to the student's profile and add the parent under Roles to this profile.
- Assign the parent to each of the courses a student is already on.
- Hey presto and nothing is working!