Urgent - grade overide - original grade dropped off?

Urgent - grade overide - original grade dropped off?

by Just H -
Number of replies: 10
Hi all

Having recently upgraded to 1.6.3+ (updated again last night via CVS) a colleague made use of this over ride last Friday on a very import quiz (the results of which directly affect promotion and salary) . . . problem being that it then only shows the score that he had changed rather than the full score when looking at the attempts page (i.e. people have gone from a grade of 27/30 or 28/30 down to 1/30 or 2/30).

The second in the series of assessments (quizzes) starts in about 12 hours and to install confidence in Moodle (these are the first "offical online assessments in my organisation) I really need to fix this.

Any pointers on how to fix this?

Regards
Harry
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Just H

Re: Urgent - grade overide - original grade dropped off?

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Harry,

Is the issue that you have lost a record of the orignal grade recorded? If so, if you view the attempt you should see an additional entry in the record of the attempt itself titled "Manual grade". Only the revised grade in the "overview" table though (not the correct term IIRC, I'm out of the office at the moment doing this from memory).

Hope this helps.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Just H -
Hi Ray

Thanks for the reply, perhaps I am just misunderstanding the way it should work?

I should have attached an image the first time to make myself clearer smile

As you can see below, in the overview table it is only showing the extra marks awarded to the students and if I click to review the first persons attempt, again it only shows the extra mark awarded in the total rather than the adjusted (i.e the first guy got 28 out of 30 originally and one of his answers was correct allowing for a typo therefore, he should show as 29 out of 30).

Regards
H
Attachment regrade.jpg
In reply to Just H

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
How good is your PHP? Is it up to going in to lib/questionlib.php, and adding some debugging statments to the 'question_process_comment' function (around line 1140)? In particular around the block of code with the comment // Update the attempt if the score has changed. Is this doing the right thing?

If this is a general problem, I am suprised no-one has reported it before. However, I can't think of a reason why it would be working for you but not for everyone else.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Harry,

This was what I had in mind - see image.

Edit: Just looked at your image again. Now I understand what you mean. I was on the wrong track with my screen shot.

Edit 2: Just tried this in a 1.7 version. Works as expected i.e. full revised grade is displayed.
Attachment regrade2.jpg
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Just H -
Morning Ray (well it is here smile )

Re your image, yep, we get that. Initially I didn't know my colleague had reviewed the attempts, then when I saw the grades had dropped I had a look and saw this sort of thing, gave my colleague a call and was told he used the override link.

Nice change from 1.5.4, only used Gradebook Plus from Humboldt before to give "extra" credit. I just need to get it working now smile

H
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Just H -
Hi Tim

My PHP is as good as getting that auto email diff so I can send you it - dismal sad (will get there eventually, just that our "paid" job is getting in the way the past few weeks).

Off to track down some PHP statements and I'll concentrate on that block you mentioned.

Thanks for the pointer.

H
In reply to Just H

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You probably want to scatter calls to

print_object($state);

or

print_object($attempt);

throughout that funcion.

(print_object is a Moodle-specific function defined in datalib.php very useful for debugging.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Just H -
Thanks again Tim

My very limited knowledge is exhausted (not hard really ;) ) so will pass this on to a colleague who has less limited knowledge!

Will report back if we can track anything down, as you said though, would have thought the issue would have been raised by now if it was a general problem so thinking it's probably local to our install.

Later
H
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Just H -
Sorry, should have mentioned:

* running on a Linux box (2.6.18-1-s5)
* apache 1.3.37 (Unix)
* perl 5.8.7
* MySQL 4.1.21
* PHP 5.2.0

H
In reply to Just H

by Just H -
Well, it gets stranger!

The assessment yesterday went without a hitch, my colleague has gone through and regraded for typos etc. and . . . it works as I expected it to originally?

Same course, slightly different assessment but drawn from the same pool of questions.

We'll be looking into it further today (higher priority work came in yesterday) and will report back anything we find but considering nothing has changed not sure if we will be able to track this glitch down.

H