Server location issues for those with paranoid IT policies

Server location issues for those with paranoid IT policies

by Bob Calder -
Number of replies: 1
Frankly, I have doubts that a network that allows "http://localhost/" to resolve to the gateway is a healthy place for network traffic of any kind. Does anybody have a ping utility that will run 5 pings every fifteen minutes and graph the results?

Quandry:

I don't know if I can move my server away from my own switch. I have my server physically inside my subnet due to traffic issues. I would be more than mildly blamed if the staff was unable to access Moodle on an exam day. Consequently we only have to deal with issues behind our own switch on days when every teacher in the district (there are around 10,000 of them) and half of the students decide to download movies and play online games at other schools. This is not really a rant. Just the facts.

On the other hand, I can't have remote learning in any way shape or form because incomming traffic is not allowed. My students can't get to their class sites or do any interactive work. Lots of them have gotten thumb drives which improves the situation greatly. But I am caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea.

The district has a server farm in the DMZ of course, but I can't tell if I could trust the infrastructure to hold up between the school and the exposed server. Outgoing would be fine because the speed is like lightning after hours.
Average of ratings: -