Levels instead of grades

Levels instead of grades

by David Dent -
Number of replies: 3

I currently assess my students in Levels, from 1 to 7 (Level 7 being best). Is it possible to configure the gradebook to assess in levels instead of percentages?

In reply to David Dent

Re: Levels instead of grades

by andrew stephenson -

Yes.  You can create a custom scale.  This scale you can promote to a standard scale to use across your courses.  Within your course design options you can apply the scale.

I recently created a scale of 1a,1b,1c,2a,2b,2c,3a,3b,3c,4a,4b etc representing Key Stage 3 in ICT NC levels in UK.

Interesting enough the totals calculated in the grade book stripped off the letter, adding up the numbers, making it easy to export to excel and calculate what level a student is working at.

Custom scales can be qualitative statements as well as quantitative values.

Andrew

In reply to andrew stephenson

by David Dent -
Thanks Andrew for the advice. Thats exactly what I was looking for in terms of KS3 ICT Levels. However, just to pick your brains, I want to run a self assessment quiz where the students answer a number of Yes/No questions which are weighted. Depending upon their responses, Moodle would return a current level that they are working at. I've set up the questions and set up the grade boundaries but Moodle keeps returning 77/77 instead of Level 5 or 60/77 instead of Level 3. Do you hve any ideas how to resolve this issue?
In reply to David Dent

by David Dent -

Just to add to the above post. I can get the levels to display when a teacher views the grades for an assignment but I can't get the pupils to see a level when they view their grades immediatly after they have finished the assessment quiz. It just continues to show the raw score out of 77.

Moodle is obviously able to display the level in relation to a raw score but I want the student to be able to see it as well as the teacher.

Any ideas??