backups too large to upload to a new server

backups too large to upload to a new server

by John Dennis -
Number of replies: 1
I need to overcome file size limits on uploading/restoring some moodle courses to a new server. How can the courses be broken up into pieces? (Or is it difficult to upload them--and then add them to our new moodle site using FTP?)

Our problem is that moodle on the new server initially limited uploads to 24MB, while two of the course backups that I'd like to upload there are 38MB and 43MB respectively. One tactic was to contact the server folks for help. Their staff replied like this:

<begin quote>
I have created a local php.ini file in which I have define the value of this size to be 50M

upload_max_filesize = 50M

However it is a local php.ini file and it is not certain that this will help you to upload bigger than 24MBs files (the global upload_max_filesize is set to 24M).
<end quote>

I then re-tried uploading the same backups but now got an error message (I guess at the end of the upload) saying there was an id missing. I've tried backing up small portions of these courses (quizes only for one unit of a six-unit course) but surprisingly, that doesn't seem to have much affect on the final file size that I end up with. It certainly doesn't drop it below 24MB.

The next step would be to try to upload them outside of moodle using FTP, which apparently can get around the 24M limitation, but I'm on new ground there so I would prefer not to learn/explore how to do this now. And there may be difficulties getting those uploaded files re-integrated into moodle.

Anyone encounter similar problems? And, of course, how did you solve or get around them?
Average of ratings: -