php accelerator

php accelerator

by Eric Henson -
Number of replies: 4
Over the last couple months I have read about many different PHP accelerators.  I will be using Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10.  Does anyone recommend a PHP Accelerator that you feel is good, and which ones to stay away from.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Henson

Re: php accelerator - APC

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I use Ubuntu rather than SUSE but I have been pleased with PECL's APC (Alternative PHP Cache). I average about 250,000 hits daily and a couple gig of transfer per day and it seems to have worked flawlessly. I do notice some fragmentation but I have a cron job that restarts apache every week as it rotates the logs and that seems to clear things up and keep things running.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: php accelerator - APC

by Henry Johnson -
I'll throw my vote in for APC on Ubuntu as well. Apart from a small hicup with a bug in a previous version, it has run fine. We are lucky that our system is not at all "stressed", but I was impressed with PECL's install tools. Almost as nice as Ubuntu!
In reply to Eric Henson

Re: php accelerator

by Ken Wilson -

Eric

Take a look at this thread (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=56900) where a possible alternative to APC (Xcache) is discussed. Maybe one more for you to test.

When testing APC, a hint is to always set apc.stat=0 in your php.ini file - otherwise you'll get one or two blank pages wink.

HTH!

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

Re: php accelerator

by Eric Henson -

Thanks, I will test these on my development systems.  For testing, I am using VMWARE and just making a new copy VMWARE instance for each configuration so that one doesnt effect the other.  I have seen some people recomend other PHP accelerators, but I have allot of faith your your advice.

Eric