Cant Upload Powerpoint

Cant Upload Powerpoint

by Faizan Tayyab -
Number of replies: 22

hI,

I followed the step as included in the documentation.

save the powerpoint as webpage

and then zip it.

WHen i upload it, it gives me error

"cannot get data" and the powerpoint is not uploaded.

Any help??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Faizan Tayyab

Re: Cant Upload Powerpoint

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Faizan!

I think you should take a look at this long discussion.

Relevant text for you might be Chris Collman's post--
ImportPPT now works in 1.6. I did some quick and dirty checking on what it would and would not do. First it works with 2000 and 2002 flavors of PowerPoint (not 2003).

Do you have an old version of PowerPoint available?

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Thanks for posts. This appears to be another common issue. I decided to Bold the It does not work with PowerPoint 2003 onward here in MoodleDocs where we have tried to give suggestions and alternatives.

Readers who see my posts know I like the idea of two import options for branch pages. One option is to import text and the other is to import images of a presentation page. I favor Import Open Office images. (Please note, I keep an old version of PPT around, so I can bring a Word outline into it and then export the text to a series of branch pages.) I think I will fall of this soapbox---again.big grin It is all about priorities and I can wait.

For the record, some import function is better than none.

Hope the MoodleDoc link helps.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

If you desperately need to import powerpoint slides into Moodle, and I you are getting this error message because you are using Powerpoint 2003 (MS Office 2003), I can try to lay my hands on a workaround I found some time ago to solve that problem.

Please state which Powerpoint version you are using and which Moodle version.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Here are the steps to import a PowerPoint presentation into a Moodle lesson. Tested with Moodle 1.6 and 1.7 and Powerpoint 2003 (MS Office 2003).

1. Create a PowerPoint presentation called e.g. myPresentation.ppt (possiby including embedded images).
  2. Save your powerpoint presentation as html pages
  3. PowerPoint will create (in your chosen destination):
    1. one myPresentation.htm file
    2. one myPresentation_files folder (this folder would be called myPresentation_fichiers with a French version of Windows, etc.)
  4. Then zip the entire myPresentation_files folder to a myPresentation_files.zip file. You do not need the myPresentation.htm file.
  5. In your Moodle course, in Edit mode, Add an activity, Add a lesson, give it a name and set its parameters.
  6. On the following screen you are given a choice of: What would you like to do first?
    1. Import questions
    2. Import PowerPoint
    3. Add a Branch Table
    4. Add a Question Page
  7. Select Import PowerPoint. On the next screen, upload the myPresentation_files.zip file. Et voila!

The above works in Moodle 1.6 and 1.7 without any changes for presentations created with versions of PowerPoint prior to MS Office 2003. If you want to use presentations made with PowerPoint 2003 you'll have to make a minor change in file moodle\mod\lesson\importppt.php around line 135.

Replace: unzip_file($base.$zipfile, $base, false);

with: unzip_file($base.$zipfile, $base.$dirname, false);

Hope that helps,

Joseph

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

by A. T. Wyatt -
Thank you, Joseph!

I am anxious to try this. I appreciate your work!

atw

by Chris Collman -
Joseph,
That is a HUGE HELP. I will be trying this out later today and will take the liberty of adding it to ImportPPT in MoodleDocs, if nobody has done it before me.

LOL, one little change in the code, with the caution that it will only import PPT 2003. And who knows what is going to happen with Vista flavors. I can hardly wait to play.

Two gold stars for Joseph to start off the week ! Thank you.
In reply to Chris Collman

by A. T. Wyatt -
Yes, I thought of the new version! I have it. Shall I post a 2007 powerpoint here for you to test?

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Chris Collman -
Are you taking lessons from Chris in being pushy? wink
By all means, post a zip file of the html folder as per Joseph's instructions. You know how ImportPPT is sort of fussy in the best of all possible worlds, so KISS (Keep it Short and Simple) with a couple of small graphics. Thank you.

Well, I better get to my workplace, so I can get to work on Joseph's great stuff and some other things I will need to do for my site administrator. We need to decide if we are going from 1.5.4 to 1.6 or 1.7.

by ian lake -

Just to throw a small 'spanner in the works' I uploaded a ppt2003 file after making the changes suggested and it worked, not entirely as i expected but it did work, so fired with enthusiasm I decided to try it out on some other ppt files some with graphics and it did not work, even after converting the files to plain, graphic'less' text with no colour, it still did work. The error message was 'cannot load data' which has been reported in another forum, but that thread was talking about uploading ppt2003 files to 1.5.x. Anyone have any ideas.

ian

In reply to ian lake

by Chris Collman -
Hi Ian,
Check out The MoodleDoc Import PowerPoint page and the tips section. In truth I have not played around with ImportPPT from a "usual and customary" use of PowerPoint point of view for a long time.

I don't like to be negative, but I found my high expectations involving importing multiple graphics objects, page numbers, backgrounds, bullets and mixing fonts on a single page to cause me more editing time in Lesson than building pages from scratch, using a little cut and paste. Please note, I also found it was easier to "dumb down" my powerpoint before importing, then go in and add back the florishes in a Lesson page, than creating everything from a series of blank lesson pages.

My opinion, not a fact. Now off to play with Joseph's tweak.

Hope this helps a little.

by ian lake -

Chris

My first attempt was with a plain ppt that had always been a plain ppt and that worked, my second attempt was with a pretty ppt which did not work. Then I looked into it further and discovered the tips page and turned the pretty ppt into a plain ppt but it still did not work and now having just tested it again does not work with the original plain ppt.

In reply to ian lake

by Chris Collman -
Really Ian? Thanks for sharing, I feel your frustration.

Well I just finished installing a clean copy of 1.7 latest and greatest. Changed the code for Joseph's tweak. I will test that on Alicia's file and one I just created in 2003. Ooops it is lunch already.

Then I will go back and see if my old test zip file works on 1.6.3 (it did in 1.6 Beta something) with scorelock and certificate non standard modules installed. I am sure I will have the same results as yourself. However, as they (bovine farmers with their rubber boots on ) say in the state next door (Vermont), "can't say......not knowing" til I try it myself.....again. smile

Stay tuned ...Chris

In reply to ian lake

by Chris Collman -
Hi Ian,
Just checked a VERY simple powerpoint created in 2002. 1.6.3 did import titles, a text box and clip art and pictures into a lesson page. It did not import what I would call a PPT default text box formatted for bullets. Memory says I had trouble with graphic images before not the bullets.

Sounds like this is what happened to you. I attached a zip of my PPT web folder for you and others who may want to double check my work. You should find that page 2 is empty and page 5 does not show the mixed text which was attached to bullets.

Sorry - Chris

by A. T. Wyatt -
Dear Chris;
I am appalled that you thought I was being pushy. blush

I know that it will be a while before I can try out the suggestions from Joseph, and I thought you wanted to look at a 2007 file. I did not mean to sound flippant or rude. You have done a lot on this issue, and I appreciate it. My teachers would be far more likely to use a powerpoint as a base for a lesson than to create one from scratch, so I follow your contributions closely!

I couldn't upload the file, so I will try to email it to you.

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Chris Collman -
Dearest ATW,

No, no no, the apologies are all mine. I jokeclown entirely too much and that is a classic example of why humor can easily be misunderstood. blushblushblush

I am more than obviously all too giddy today after so much turkey and at the excitement of Joseph's excellent posts.

BTW: A fresh copy of 1.7, with the single line change in importppt.php brought in a very simple PPT2003 by following the instructions. Mine had two pages with text only, one with a single image and single line of text and one with two side by side images.

Thank you for your efforts. I sent you a message with a different email. Until I get it (again), I will switch gears and see if a similar PPT2002 will import into a hacked version of 1.6.3.

Best

by Karolina Węgrzyn -
Hello,

I'm browsing forums to find out what might cause troubles with Power Point lessons import and I've red all the posts here. In my case I use PP 2000, so it can't be it's version. (Moodle 1.6)
I did some tests and indeed bullets do not work, nor more than one image. Background colour information doesn't import, either, I had to set it in lesson preferences. But there is one more problem I've got - text disappears after any of Polish letters, like "ą" "ę" "ł" etc. Maybe you know what might cause it?

Someone suggested me to use Open Office instead of Power Point, but I have no idea what option too choose while saving HTML, there are too many, it's more complicated than saving HTML in PP.
Open Office works great if one wants to safe lesson as SWF file and upload it that way.
In reply to Karolina Węgrzyn

by Chris Collman -
Karolina,
Evidently, "special" characters (non-english) are yet another reason why it is hard to program code to import a powerpoint presentation smile Sigh.

OpenOffice is not a solution. I wish it were.

The only way I know to get exactly what is on a MS PowerPoint or OpenOffice Impress slide is to do an HTML export, then insert the image of each slide into the content of a lesson page. We have not automated that process (yet?).

Thanks for the post with the information about non-english characters. I have done text only imports via PPoint but they did not contain Polish words.

Sorry I could not be more help.

by Karolina Węgrzyn -
Thank you for information, I'll try to upload them as images unless I have to make an active URL , then I'll paste the text lesson edition window.
In reply to Karolina Węgrzyn

by Dipl Ing. (FH) Mohd Iznan -
i have another solution..i register an account at www.zoho.com upload the ppt files or odi files there..and then export back as html.....the imported ppt files can be embedded using the html code snipet provide by the zoho......
In reply to Dipl Ing. (FH) Mohd Iznan

Odp: Re: Cant Upload Powerpoint

by Łukasz Sanokowski -
Does non english latin characters like "ę ą ć" import good, when using your zoho.com solution?

Thanks in advance

by Nicole Dunstan -

Hi,

I have another problem with uploading a Powerpoint Presentation. Does anyone know of any issues with different versions of Powerpoint?

One person uploaded a Powerpoint Presentation and saved it as a Slide show and has Office 2003. When they open it, it opens fine in the Slide view.

I have Office 2007, and when I click on the link to open the Powerpoint Presentation, it does not open in the Slide view.

We have hyperlinks throughout the whole presentation so it needs to be set to open in Slide view but it just doesn't seem to do that for my version  of Office (Office 2007).

Can anyone offer any suggestions / comments please....

Thanks

Nicole

by Asheesh Choksi -

Importing PPT from MS Word 2007

This seems most straightforward. Simply save the PPT as a single web page. This will save the file in .mht format. This file can be imported in Moodle as it is.

On the flip side this file can be viewed only in IE 8 + on windows.

I could not view this in Firefox or Chrome browsers. I have not tried on other platforms.