I maintain our Moodle environment at our education center (www.deoranjerie.be / www.deoranjerie.be/cms) and added some minor features like you need to login before you can see anything and some other things.
Now I guess there are some more people out there that also like some of these functionalities, and because when I upgrade to a new version all functionallities I programmed will be 'gone', I've been thinking to 'join' your development team and make everybody profit of it. I don't have much experience of how open source development teams work (however we use opensource like Linux, Samba, etc on campus), but that'll change then ;)
Some features that my collegues here would want to see implemented in Moodle;
- Login before you can see anything. Best with a checkbox somewhere in the admin panel to turn this on and off
- Let a script run over all external links every 24h. When there is a broken link, and it has been broken since 2 checks, show a 'Link may be broken' at the course page next to the link. If it is still broken after 3 or 4 checks, send an email to the course-maintainers to notify them of the broken link.
- Choose icons for downloadable files, so students can see what kind of file it will be, PDF, Powerpoint, TXT, DOC, XLS, .... (maybe the admin should be able to specify extentions coupled to icons, that the admin can customize)
- possibility to upload an entire folder at once, instead of file per file. (I saw something about webdav around this forum, I don't know to much about webdav, but it would be possible with webdav if i'm not mistaken ?)
- when a item or week is turned invisible, it shows a grey block on the students coursepage, an option to make it entirely invisible would be nice (so the students see nothing).
- Possibility to make 'groups' in a course, with permissions on what they can view etc. I saw something about groups here, will this make this possible ?
- Possibility to open pop-up windows in full screen (I think this is a IE-hack and would not be cross-browser compatible :s)
My colleagues email suggestions on a regular base, there have been suggestions on long term for embedded spellcheckers etc (http://spellerpages.sourceforge.net/)
I would like to work on some of these items and make them available for public use, and see them in future moodle versions, so I would not have to 'patch' every moodle release over and over again..
But as said before, I have no idea how open source development teams work, so maybe someone can tell me how to 'join' the development team etc