Hosting issues

Hosting issues

by Mark Harrington -
Number of replies: 2

I sent an email to my hosting company initially because I could not run the function phpinfo().  They replied that access to that function was removed for security reasons.

I then tried to place a .htaccess file to allow me to save session info and this caused an internal server error.  I queried the hosting company and got this response:

> 1) I have created a .htaccess file at <my moodle site>/.htaccess
> to tweak a few settings on my Moodle installation.  At the moment I have
> renamed it to old.htaccess as it causes an internal server error.  This
> is the default .htaccess file for the installation - could you please
> let me know what is going wrong?  Are there  security restrictions in
> place to prevent the use of overrides?
>

Yes you will not be able to do that on a shared hosting plan, we run a wrapped c
ommand line version of PHP for security reasons so scripts run with their owners
 permissions. This is required by the level of security required by shared hosti
ng environments.
You will need to specify your PHP variables within your script environment inste
ad using an include file for example.

> 2) Can you please set up a cron job for me : I would like to run the
> script <my moodle site>/admin/cron.php every five minutes.

Every 5 minutes seems a bit excessive, what does the script do?

This frustrates me as this is one of the major hosting companies in Austalia!  Is there anything I can do to get around this?

Mark.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Harrington

Re: Hosting issues

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Change hosting companies.... what they are saying is that they don't *really* want to run PHP at all. I can almost guarantee that they will run PHP is safe mode which screws you up too.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the cron business. A forum search should turn it up. There are a few dirty fixed going around that run the cron script on the back of a user loading certain pages which will be good enough on a reasonably busy site,
In reply to Mark Harrington

Re: Hosting issues

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Oh... they are also saying (reading between the lines) that they run PHP in cgi mode, not as an apache module, this is VERY Bad. Your site would run like a drain even if it ran at all.