Moodle documentation: Documentation as a course

Moodle documentation: Documentation as a course

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
We have spent more time than I care to think about over the last few months producing a teachers/tutors course for Moodle. This is or shortly will include a full tutorial and a reference area for all the different activities et al.

We decided to produce this as a standalone course in Moodle. We would be happy to donate our efforts to the Moodle community, but would it be useful structured as an actual course.

I note that this is not the case with the present documentation, which I guess on a certain level is a bit odd. Why not use Moodle to "teach" Moodle?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Svar: Documentation as a course

by Anders Berggren -

Hi Howard,

I think you're not the only one working with this. And yes, there's a lot of ever growing content to handle, it should be in a certain form, be structured in various ways and be designed for various audiences and roles. There should be more than one way to approach Moodle, thus e g supporting various individual learning styles etc.

Everybody shouldn't be dealing with all the (descriptive) content individually though. There must be more efficient ways to organize this e g by way of some form of systematic collaboration. Check e g the discussion about a Documentation Management System for exploring future possiblities regarding this. 

I think that Moodle courses about Moodle for various roles is a good way to proceed and I think there are already such courses that you can build on if you like. E g this project. Personally I am interested in basing documentation, help-files, tutorials and courses on pedagogy and builtin didactic strategies. See the attached document tut_mo_040305.zip for more info on that.

Cheers, Anders

In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: Documentation as a course

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, but...

the above course looks very good but the Spanish is a bit of a problem smile

We need something now. We are having to support increasing numbers of teachers and they need proper documentation. Moodle doesn't have it at the moment, which is ufortunate. Having said that with a small amount of instruction they are finding it very easy to use, but we need that documentation. Hence doing it ourselves, because this is the quickist way for our needs.

We are also looking very closely at the pedagogic issues, but as we are a higher education organisation I sometimes feel we look at things slightly differently from the "average" user. Academic arguments about "journal" being a bad name for an activity (in fact activity is a bad name for an activity) are commonplace in our offices smile

Svar: Re: Svar: Documentation as a course

by Anders Berggren -

Hi,

Sorry for leading you down the wrong path. I thought you'd find a developed version of Sean Keogh's tutorial for students there. I should have checked if it actually was a translation into Spanish. In this discussion post  Moodle for students you should find Sean's original zip-file contribution, in English. Even if it is intended for students It contains lots of reusable text. I also think that tutorials need to be adapted to various contexts and target groups but there should be repository for general content to adapt.

Cheers, Anders

In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Documentation as a course

by Jennifer LaVoie Constant -

I tried the moodle for students course, but the acitivities were missing?

is there a way to fix that?

Re: Svar: Documentation as a course

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'll bet they are using the Journal activity wrong anyway ... 90% of people seem to use it as a single text they keep adding to, but it's really meant to be implemented weekly, one entry per activity.

Svar: Re: Svar: Documentation as a course

by Anders Berggren -

Hi, here is something more that might be of interest. Quote taken from this diskussion

"Don, Re: - Visual Tour

I will gladly open my demo site to your teachers, if this will help you. Tell them to go to http://remote-learner.net/hsonline. They should create a user account for the Teacher Demonstration course, and then e-mail me (bryan@remote-Learner.net) they have done so.  I must have the secret code words in their message (I know Don H. big grin).  I will then set them up as teachers with full editing permissions.  Please explain to your teachers that I desire they actually use this course template to create something real, but are welcome to just browse.  If I see a teacher create 3 or 4 cool activities, they just might win a Moodle coffee cup. I will be restoring this course about once a week, so they should use the Teacher forum to keep me current on their plans. Bryan "

Hope it will help, Anders