New "Language" Pack

New "Language" Pack

by Jerry Jordan -
Number of replies: 5
I have done a search to see if this problem has been addressed, but wasn't able to find anything. If anyone knows of a forum thread that has already addressed this, please let me know.

I have put this under the Language forum because the only solution I have found so far has been to alter the language files in Moodle.

My Problem: I use Moodle for online courses and I now want to also use it for a resource area for course graduates. This resource area will have lots of industry information, links, etc and I want to use Moodle. The only thing is that the users of this area will not be "students" and the resources will not be "courses".

I want the following changes:

student(s) ---> member(s)
teacher(s) ---> facilitator(s)
course(s) ---> resource(s)

I know that there is the option to change "student" and "teacher" in setup, but I want to change "course" and perhaps other terms.

As a short-term solution, I have gone into the English language pack and altered the moodle.php file manually. It took quite a long time, because I was unable to simply "find and replace", but I had to look at each change, so I didn't mess up any strings that were found in file names, functions, etc. I have only altered the moodle.php file so far and I note that there are lots more files in the English language pack.

My hunch is that perhaps the easiest way to do this is to use the source code and replace ALL instances of the strings above.

Can anyone give me advice for the best/easiest/quickest way to make these changes throughout Moodle? I may have to do this quite a lot as new releases come out, so the easiest solution would be appreciated.

Cheers!

P.S. Before anyone offered other CMSs as solutions, I have tried every one I could find and want to use Moodle (also I will keep updated courses in the "Resource" instance of Moodle and need the functionality of Moodle for these courses to work properly).
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jerry Jordan

Re: New "Language" Pack

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jerry,

Please check docs.moodle.org/en/Language for details of how to create a local language pack.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jerry Jordan -
Helen,

Thanks for that!

If a person is able to build from code, it certainly seems inefficient to have to go through so many files and manually change each string. Also, I have noticed with Moodle 1.7 that I still have references to "teacher" and "student" and have to go into the database itself to remove these strings too (i.e. the new "roles" are defined in the database itself).

Might have to find the source code and do a global find and replace.

Cheers
In reply to Jerry Jordan

by Jerry Jordan -
I found a solution for the issue above.

I downloaded and used JEdit to change ALL references of:

member --> moodler
resource --> asset
Resource --> Asset
course --> resource
Course --> Resource
student --> member
Student --> Member
teacher --> facilitator
Teacher --> Facilitator

JEdit changed all of these strings with a simple "find and replace", but you need to logically change terms. For example, if you change "course" to "resource" before you have changed what is currently referred to as "resource", then you will have lots of problems. Just be logical when you rename things.

Finally, as JEdit doesn't change file names themselves, I did a Windows search in the Moodle folder and renamed the files manually (e.g. courses.php to resources.php).

I then did a fresh install with this revised Moodle. So far in my testing, everything looks fine and there are no references to "course" anywhere (even the URLs have "resource" in them). It is exactly the look I wanted.

Regarding updates, I will do the same to new versions before installing them on my server.

Cheers!
In reply to Jerry Jordan

by george byshay -
Hi I'm from Egypt
I want alanguage pack for the coptic language
I can give u any thing u need about this language