Groups problem

Groups problem

by Dale Jones -
Number of replies: 2
Groups is confusing me (easily done, so no surprises there), and doesn't seem to work the same way as on Tom Murdock's site.
1. I'm an admin.  I upgraded 30 mins ago to the latest CVS version.
2. I have set up some courses of users in groups.
2a. Not all the users are in a group.
3. I have set up a course to show visible groups (I tried it with separate groups too) although not all course members are necessarily in a group.
4. In that course the forums still show all the users, whatever I select in the dropdown.
5. Users can see their Group Members but when they go into a forum, whatever they select in the Visible Groups dropdown they are shown all the participants.

Is the Groups functionality dependent on the group being present before the forum is set up?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dale Jones

Re: Groups problem

by Gustav W Delius -

When you say: "the forums still show all the users" do you mean that the forum shows the posts of all the users or do you mean that the page subscribers.php shows all the subscribers? The first should not happen, the second does happen because cvs:/moodle/mod/forum/subscribers.php has not yet been made group aware but that isn't so important because only teachers can see the list of subscribers.

If forums are set up and users post to them before they are assigned to groups then these posts will be shown only in groups 0, as far as I understand. Anything posted after the user is in a group will show up in the user's group, even if the forum was set up before groups were.

In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Groups problem

by Dale Jones -
The forums show all the posts of all the users.  However, this might be explained by your second paragraph - users were put in groups after the forum was created, although they posted in teh forum after they were put into a group.
I'll do a bit more testing.
Thanks
Dale