Lesson problem

Lesson problem

by Thomas Bray -
Number of replies: 5
I'm having a problem when adding the content of a lesson page.

First, when i try to add the lesson to begin with it doesn't "take" the first time. I'm re-directed to the login window. The second time I attempt it--it works.

I also have trouble adding a page to the content. It seems to want to allow me to add content only a little bit at a time, then it gets fussy and tells me it won't update. Is there a character limit per page?

It seems not to want to let me update the answers and replies.

"Update page: answer 1 not updated" etc

BTW--Moodle 1.2 beta

sad
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Bray

Re: Lesson problem

by Thomas Bray -
Could this be a database problem? I'm really anxious to use this mod, and I can't explain why this is happening. Anyone else getting "Page not updated" errors?

sad
In reply to Thomas Bray

by Thomas Bray -
OK, more info:

Revolving door time sad First, when I create the lesson, I get this error: REQUIRED PARAMETER MISSING. So i try again, and it works.

Next, I try and and content: answers and responses. I get the same error message over and over: "Update page: answer 1 not updated", even when I'm not trying to update answer one!

Then, every once in a while, through some miracle of the gods, I get content through and it "takes."

Is it a flood control of somekind? I've never experienced anything like this, and obviously none of you have either, so I'm guessing I've screwed this up somehow.

I updated to the latest version of the mod, and installed the latest en lang file.

Can anyone help?

smile
In reply to Thomas Bray

by Ray Kingdon -
Thomas, the "Update page: answer 1 not updated" message should never appear. When it does something rather strange has happened when updating the database. Have you got access to the server logs? If you have, it would be worth checking them at the time the problems occur. The page which is doing the update is ...mod/lesson/lesson.php. The "Update page" error might appear if PHP ran out of memory at that point, but that's a wild guess. But it would explain the erratic behaviour.

The table structures for the lesson module are fairly simple. If you've got access to them take a look and see what is actually getting into them and when.

And no, there's no flood control, the content, answer and response boxes are stored in text fields (aka blobs), which means up to 64K characters in any one.

One last thought, if it's a non-critical site you might try turning debug on (login as Admin and go to the Configuration|Variables page. You'll get some strange mesages from various pages but any odd messages on the Lesson pages would be worth noting... (On my development system I run with debug on and lesson does not give any strange messages.)

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Thomas Bray -
Hi Ray:

Thanks for the advice. It seems to be behaving itself now, of course. I optimized the data base (whatever that means) and so far, so good.

While I was having the problem, I noticed it only seemed to want to take one small character in the text field at a time. Once I added that, I could go back and add more. It also didn't like it when I cut and pasted a large section of text from a Word doc. That could be pure coincidence.

It was very strange. The server this is on is Pair, not known for troubles. Maybe PHP *was* running low on memory. I'm crippled by lack of knowledge, but this much I know: I LOVE your mod; thank you for writing it!

smile

TB
In reply to Thomas Bray

by Ray Kingdon -
Thomas, thanks for the reply. Just as a check, if you login as Admin and go to the Admin page there's a button in the middle at the foot of the page labeled PHP Info. If you click on that and have a look in the table headed PHP Core one of the entries will tell you the Memory_limit. The recommended value is at least 16M, I run my production server with it set at 32M. If you're running your own server it's easy to change, it's one on the parameters in php.ini. (PHP Info helpfully tells you where that file is, it's the Configuration File (php.ini) Path value near the top of the page.)